Air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, guess I’ve learned something new as well. Now the OP knows more than he probably ever wanted to know about air filters, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol: Six pages later and here we are. Vehicular OCD at it's finest!

Yep mines the Delphi one (thanks for looking up that information @east302!), so it's just the filter that's bigger? huh, don't know if I have the larger filter, pretty sure I do, thought mine came with a bigger air filter. My truck never came with a manual or build sheet so I can't tell, anyway I can tell if I have the bigger filter? Just about fills the box.

Sorry to be off-topic, but what is the Deluxe Appearance Package?

Measure the outside diameter at the top of the filter and then refer to the info that east302 posted a little while ago. Those tables of info have the OD's of each filter type listed.

I'm not 100% positive what all the "Front Deluxe Appearance Package" consists of, but if I remember correctly it has something to do with the chrome accent on the grille.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look for code K47 on the label in the glovebox to see what it originally came with.

A buddy of mine bought a Cheyenne trim truck in 1997 or so and it had the Silverado grille instead of the gray work truck style. The “deluxe appearance package” gave it the Silverado front grille without springing for the power locks, windows, etc.

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Measure the outside diameter at the top of the filter and then refer to the info that east302 posted a little while ago. Those tables of info have the OD's of each filter type listed.
Ok, I will measure it tomorrow and see what I get. :) Thanks.

Look for code K47 on the label in the glovebox to see what it originally came with.

A buddy of mine bought a Cheyenne trim truck in 1997 or so. The “deluxe appearance package” gave it the Silverado front grille without springing for the power locks, windows, etc.

Just went out and checked my glovebox and did not see a K47, only see a K34 and K60. Darn, I guess I don't have the H.C. filter.

Ok, that's what I thought with the deluxe appearance.

Would it be better if I had the bigger filter or it really doesn't matter too much between the H.C. filter and regular filter? Sorry for all the questions, just want to learn more about these trucks. :)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Would it be better if I had the bigger filter or it really doesn't matter too much between the H.C. filter and regular filter? Sorry for all the questions, just want to learn more about these trucks. :)

In reality I'm sure it doesn't matter much. In theory the larger diameter filter is going to be capable of flowing more air, though. They cost about the same, I'd wait until you need to replace it next time and get the high capacity filter then if you don't already have it.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
In reality I'm sure it doesn't matter much. In theory the larger diameter filter is going to be capable of flowing more air, though. They cost about the same, I'd wait until you need to replace it next time and get the high capacity filter then if you don't already have it.
Ok, yeah that's probably what I will do once it comes time to replace. Thanks for the help. :)

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Napa sells both the larger one is "NAPA GOLD 6441
042209V1
MADE IN USA"

looks like both boxes will work but the larger filter is shrouded more so you'll want to gut it (mine only had about 1/2 inch of clearance with the larger filter, gutting gave an extra inch) try this and if you still want more add the tube. All I did was grab a eavestrough extension snake non-perforated 4" diameter cost about $10 for 10ft and only used about a foot of it and a 4" hole saw ($15), then used a heat gun to massage the air box a little bit to my liking

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone who's looking at this old thread I have some better pictures of what I did here.

Also note that the first elbow out of the air box can be swapped with a 3" pvc elbow to help with airflow and this works with a stock truck just needs to drill a hole for the iat sensor

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Were you able to objectively measure any changes from that mod? Where'd you route that 2nd intake hose?

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never could get my data logger to work properly and I drilled a 4" hole into the rad support so the air comes from behind the grill, a scoop from the opening in the grill would make it work even better