98 CHEVY K1500 5.7 VORTEC WON'T START!! THOUGHTS/INPUT PLEASE!! I HAVE A P1345 CODE, CRANK/CAM SENSORS MISMATCH.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not to confuse the issue, depending on mileage, there could be a chance that the cam gear still has nylon teeth.. Many Mfg's used that set up to quieten down chain noise... could be an issue with the nylon gear if so equipped. again not trying to confuse issue. Turn the crank by hand/wrench see how much play at the rotor

MMartin401

Reaction score
My 98 Vortec did the same thing, turned out to be the oil pressure sensor, changed it out, and no problem since… just saying..
THANKS SIMERS! WAS YOUR OIL PRESSURE TRACKING CORRECTLY OR WAS IT ERRATIC? YESTERDAY, I USED THE COIL THAT CAME WITH THE TRUCK IN 2014. IT NOW HAS AN MSD 8231 INSTALLED SINCE 2014. THE TRUCK STARTED WITH BOTH COILS AND RAN WITHOUT STALLING, BUT NOT GREAT! IT GOT SMOOTHER AS IT WARMED UP! I HAVE AN ACTRON CP9185 SCAN TOOL. IT SAID MY IGNITION ADVANCE WAS 23.5 DEGREES AT IDLE. I'LL RESEARCH WHETHER OR NOT THAT IS A GOOD VALUE! I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN READ THE CAM SENSORR DEGREES WITH THIS TOOL, :-( I FOUND A WEB LINK TO DIAGNOSE EVERY COMPONENT IN THE IGNITION CIRCUIT!! I PAID $4 FOR THE ELECTRONIC FILE. IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS WELL WORTH THE MONEY!! I APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S HELP! ENJOY YOUR EVENING/WEEK!!

MMartin401

Reaction score
not to confuse the issue, depending on mileage, there could be a chance that the cam gear still has nylon teeth.. Many Mfg's used that set up to quieten down chain noise... could be an issue with the nylon gear if so equipped. again not trying to confuse issue. Turn the crank by hand/wrench see how much play at the rotor
THANKS RACERM95!! ENJOY YOUR EVENING/WEEK!!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never seen a Vortec that did not have a single roller here.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen a Vortec that did not have a single roller here.
I bought a Vortec core short-block to rebuild for my '88 K1500. It was supposedly pulled from the vehicle due to a "rod knock". After they got it yanked-out, they found that the flexplate was cracked majestically. The rods were fine.

I don't know how many miles the engine had on it--but the single-row timing set was so perfect I re-used it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a Vortec core short-block to rebuild for my '88 K1500. It was supposedly pulled from the vehicle due to a "rod knock". After they got it yanked-out, they found that the flexplate was cracked majestically. The rods were fine.

I don't know how many miles the engine had on it--but the single-row timing set was so perfect I re-used it.
I reused one on that L30 that went into the Tahoe that had ~200K on it and no wear to it. The chain itself was not any looser fitting than a new one. They have made me a believer in them for sure considering how much wear even the link style gets in 50-100K miles.

MMartin401

Reaction score
DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ACTRON CP9185 SCANNER/CODE READER? IF SO, WHERE DO I FIND THE CAM RETARD INFO TO SUPPORT MY P1345 CODE? I NEED TO VERIFY THE VALUE IS BETWEEN MINUS 2 AND PLUS 2 OF ZERO! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!