addiction2basses daily driver build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96twodoor

Dark side of the moon
Reaction score
Love the gauge mounting idea! If your gonna put all that work into it id paint to match the body IMO.. just to make it worth the hard work ya put into doing it :) flat black would kinda be hiding it from view..

I agree , I'd color match the console chit it would look great all stock with the guages molded in .you can't go wrong either way .

Sent from my ADR6300

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
well i found a new to me overhead console at junkyard this week and i did my own frankenstein console snagging parts from 3 different trucks.lol main console from a 95 suburban ( because it is easily seperated from the fabric and hard plastic section, newer truck consoles are melted tabs instead of screws so more PITA to reattach if recovering) 2nd part from a 2000 nbs truck map lights and switches because they are larger lenses that just look way better plus the lenses looked great on these! i also snagged the rear tissue door cause i dont care for the obs bungie crap on there. and 3rd part home link garage door opener door is from a 96s10 blazer, tho it doesnt close and stay snug BUT once i get it all painted i will just glue the door shut with some epoxy since the homelink systems NEVER NEED OPENED! ;) dam near good for life!
all and all i call it my frankenstein console ;) and the reason why i pieced it together..... to do some custom gauge work to fit 3 air gauges up there. i got a hell of a deal on 3 gauges for only 40bucks on craigslist! i did only want 2 but they barely fit and the lines are dam near pinched against the roof not giving me a great reading i dont think.
so this ones getting some custom work. alittle fiberglass, pvc pipe, and some fiberglass bondo and reg bondo to finish.

so far so good with the work. tonight was alot of grinding and cutting of the pvc pipe and just a quick hot glue to keep the pipes inplace until i do the fiberglass bracing on the rear tomorrow after work. then ill start adding fiberglass filler and start shaping it and hopefully it doesnt kick my @ss to much to get the right shape! FINGERS CROSSED!!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

im also hoping for alittle better viewing angle for my driving. i have it JUST SLIGHTLY angled towards me afew degrees or so. not sure if it will help or not but with it being tilted more level should help viewing as well and most of all it wont kink my air lines anymore up on the roof!

now i ask yalls opinion on a few things.
first off.... should i remove fabric section and smooth it over and paint it as well OR just keep it fabric to match roof? i would just be reusing my trucks current fabric section thats in my truck.

second.... should i paint the plastic sections flat black OR painted to match exterior?

im really not sure yet how i should finish it! :(

Looking good man, nice work!

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
I agree , I'd color match the console chit it would look great all stock with the guages molded in .you can't go wrong either way .

Sent from my ADR6300

Ya that's why its such a hard choice.lol
What y'all think about the fabric base? Mold it into the plastic and paint as well or keep it fabric.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
k alittle more work today. and originaly i was going to kinda offset the gauges like this below BUT somehow i dam near got these gauges straight... so im just going to make them straight now. just have to wobble the hole out alittle on the right gauge to be able to move it down alittle to make it dam near straight with the others or close enough with just a minor offset. just have to throw the dice and make changes when they come.lol

that was with them angled to hard into roof.

i can slightly push the left gauge up so if i cannt move the right gauge down to be even, then ill just slightly offset the gauge in the center. good enough if i cannt get them straight. it just kinda threw off my original positin since i decided to slightly angle the gauges towards driver and more level with roof. so just trying to roll with the punches ;)

i think im going to keep the fabric section stock. i thought about sanding it and molding the two pieces together but i just think the fabric will look smoother.
tomorrow ill wobble that hole out alittle and once im happy with gauge position ill do a quick spray paint primer job and check it out and fill any spots i need to and such. hopefully get it lookin nice quickly.
now im not sure if i want to paint the buttons/switches/maplight rings on the overhead as well or keep the plain as well.lol i know its always something im not sure about. just dont want to paint the console and then think o hell i should have painted them... also thinking of future normal use and scratches and wear on the paint if i paint them..... hell i might just have to paint a set and hope it holds up!

Reaction score
The fabric would make a great transition between the two.. Give it a one off custom look, without it looking like just a custom bolt on piece out a catalog. Its really looking good bro. I still have no idea what to do with mine :(

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
Thanks. Well you could always copy me ;) I think its th best place for them other than the pillar pods. I thought about thembut I know it might be tuff to match perfectly so I decided not to.
You can fit 2 gauges in the overhead with a real tight fit and a kink kinda in the rear like. Maybe if ya got a 90degree elbow fitting it might clear better. I just figure id like to see tank pressure as well nd I got a great deal on the gauges so why not ;)
Tho I haven't done much past few days. This heat got me not wanting to work on it very much! And smoothing this texture is a PITA!and yesterday after work I found a craigslist buy I had to snag! Another set of 454sort wheels for 80bucks. I know I can just clean them up alittle get the 2 bad tires removed atleast and atleast double my money with a quick flip! ;)