addiction2basses daily driver build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
still havent started the trailer yet. :( i want to but i cannt get the help or tractor back there where i have the bed to get it into the shop to lay out the frame. all this rain just wont break and dry up enough! i put that bed in the wrong spot for dam sure! my brother is dam near useless little girl when it comes to helping me lift stuff!
hopefully the area drys out enough so i can get back there with the tractor and pick it up and get it into the drive way area where i can put it on wheels to move it around on the pavement!
just as soon as that happens i should be able to knock it out quick enough!

on another note im still waiting on hardware for my Nfamous 3link kit.... this whole ordering experience has really been pissing me off! 1 month to get my order that i was told was all instock and ready to ship the next morning... and after amonth of waiting i finally got it BUT the box was destroyed from UPS. and the 3rd link was welded incorrectly and not straight/even end links on the wishbone. another month to get the wishbone replaced and they also sent me the missing bushings BUT the failed to give me all of the missing hardware i was missing! and they wouldnt even file a claim thru UPS for the damaged/lost parts from the package which completly dumb founds me! well HOPEFULLY they get me those missing hardware parts i need so i can finally have all the parts for my rear kit! its just been really frustrating!!!! hell i ordered the rear kit on February 8, 2013.... going on april 28th and order still not fully completed! i know the lost hardware and bushings werent there fault BUT the month+ to get simple hardware and bushings as well as the incorrectly welded wishbone is just nuts! needless to say im on the fence about ever ordering from them again! customer service just BLOWS!!!!! they need to seperate there local business from online sales IMO.

but on a plus side. i have the drilled/slotted rotors installed and painted. and so far i dont feel a big difference in brake performance BUT so far i dont feel that brake shutter in the steering wheel SO FAR so that makes me happy. but the brake performance could be hurting alittle from reusing brake pads so once they fully seat onto the rotors it could improve brake feel. i can see just by a quick test drive there is plenty of brake pad wear into the rotors slots.
but they look great!
You must be registered for see images attach

next project on the truck will be the rear drums. they look pretty ugly now! just gotta pull the rims off and brush and paint them with the POR15 as well. just need to buy some more brushes. i had to reuse dried up crunchy brush on the drivers side caliper.LOL

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
well got alittle more work done...
mikes car wash finally knocked off my loose mirrors glass on passenger side... i was meaning to glue it on because one clip broke but 3 have been holding it just fine for awhile now. but atleast they where cool about it even tho it was aftermarket i told them then it was like 50bucks for a new mirror and manager said he could maybe meet half way because it was aftermarket and im a regular he would kinda fight for me. and afew days later i get a check in the mail for 25bucks ;) turns out the mirrors are only 22bucks for a pair of plain mirrors. WELL i took this as a time to upgrade alittle more! instead of spending 22bucks i spent 147bucks to upgrade to the LED turn signal versions... sucks that they cost so much! but maybe i can sell the extra passenger one with led i already have. since those people dont sell the mirrors individually :( only pairs. that sucks why they dont sell singles! but o well UPGRADE WHY NOT...

ALSO ground was dry enough to get my trailer bed out from the back swampy area. had to do alittle ghetto rigging to get it into the shop because the tractor cannt carry it but from the side so rigged up some wheel things and pallets to get it rolled up into the shop and on jack stands. but its up and working on it here and there.

only downfall was when lowering it onto the pallets/wheels the tailgate hit the handle on the cart and dented it :( that sucks but o well nothing alittle filler cannt smooth out!

only downfall i found out is the frame is actually narrower in the rear than the front by 7inches. so i have to offset the front spring brackets and im moving the front ones out to keep the frame alittle thinner.
and of course my steel guy has NOTHING that is 3.5inches wide so im forced to improvise and use another piece of 2x4 steel and 1.5 square tubing to get that 3.5inches on each side of offset. :(
but i thin it will be fine and plenty strong for anything ill be hauling in this trailer! just not pretty right now. once i weld it to the frame rails ill cap the ends and clean it up alittle more. nothing to big.

i got the one bracket fabed, just have to do the other bracket and then get this old broken leaf spring replaced. i thought i could just unbolt this sucker and swap top leaf. well not sure about that since it has a bracket bent over it to hold them together so not sure what im going to do there. im going to throw them into my truck when i go get new U bolts from this spring shop and ask them for advice since they the pros! and if they wont charge me much to swap the top leafs over. hell ill just pay them to do it!
gotta hate old U bolts! worst designed U bolt bracket ever LOL holds just enough mud and water to rust these suckers out to garbage!

i really cannt do much more work until i get this other spring ready! i have some truck leaf springs from eric... thanks again. BUT i want the heavy duty suburban springs to handle alittle extra weight with less sag! ill do some running around tomorrow after work and try to see about the spring!
i just hope i can guess this ride height close enough the first time! i have some drop shackles so i can get another inch or two if i want lower.

Last edited:

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
well after all that measuring and trying to figure it out turns out something is angled. and my offset front mounts did not line up parallel at all :( i wanted to make the frame all square BUT it just wont work out. now im regretting welding those brackets so much! i welded them so dam much there is no way i could cut them off.LOL so gotta change up the plan alittle. i would have had the majority of the frame built today BUT i need more 1.5inch square tubing to space the rear shackles enough to line the rails up so the bushings wont bind. and of course steel shop isnt open on weekends so im kinda screwed till monday!

but main work i got done today was replacing the busted top leaf with one from a reg truck spring. was actually a lot easier than i thought!

basic plan now there... need more steel before i can weld everything in and start cross bracing and then test fitting it under the bed and see if it will fit or not and test sag with the bed layed ontop of it.
and if you noticed YES one side has belltech drop shackle on it and other is stock... i would not get the stock shackle off the old spring and couldnt get it off the other springs bracket i have either :( i just soaked the stock shackle on the good spring before i quite for the night so hopefully tomorrow when i try to take it off it will come off. i think it will because that spring is pretty new from the looks of it! so it shouldnt be seized in the bushing! ill probably just go ahead and swap to the belltech drops and just hope the axle is low enough and not to low once i put weight on it ;) if so ill just have to space the bed up off the frame to clear alittle. shouldnt be to bad. but fingers crossed for the first attempt ;)

the one thing im also happy about is i upgraded from the #1 welding tank to #2 so twice the tank should last twice as long ;)
fits so much nicer on pops welder!!!!!!!! LOL still not the fullsize monster this welder deserves.... but its a step up on the budget!

and nothing like parking next to a lifted truck to make mine look even lower ;) i need to be lower tho!

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
well i swear this trailer will not give me a break at all!
first the tahoe spring and a truck spring is actually different lengths by 3.5inches shorter on tahoe springs :( so had to replace the other top leaf for them to match.

and now after slapping the bed onto the trailer thinking the weight of the bed would drop this sucker quite a bit..... turns out WAY OFF... NO NO NO NO SOB!
drop shackles hit the rear bed brace (not a real problem cause i could just cut that bed bracing away to clear)
and the front bed rails are lower than the others...

Last edited:

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
ok well finally got alittle more work done.
changed out my manual street scene mirrors with some power motors and LED signal mirrors since the carwash broke by plain mirror. gotta love new toys! i love the power motors and led signals!

and while i had door panel apart why not swap out my speakers and upgrade :) now i need to get a amplifier for them and really push em good!

painted up a pair of almost new drums for my truck as well. POR15. just gotta wait till friday/payday so i can go ahead and get new brake shoes and hardware for the rear cause why not while i have the drums off!

i also got alittle more work done on my trailer. i have all the bed mounts and suspension all welded in solid. only thing i have to do now is build the front Aframe and coupler welded together.

and yes there is a metal tube hanging onfront. im using it as a safety drag point so it wont ever crush the bed corners. ill trim it down once i put the bed back on so its just under by an inch or so.
now i just need to find out how long i need the front tongue so i can use this toolbox. not sure if ill just put it ontop OR put it inside hanging lower... id like to keep the tongue alittle shorter than my last trailer build. so ill probably put it ontop of the frame. or maybe not use it at all. i gotta put some wood 2x4 and do some tests before i decide to cut metal!

and i wont drop the trailer until its titled and registured. i figure why not get it titled and registured first so i can use it PLUS it will keep the weight down on paper ;) ill also leave the bumper off to save some weight. ill modify it more after i got a plate on it and can actually use it. modifying it should be the easy part! im going to wait until i bag the rear of my truck so i can REUSE all my axle flip parts on my trailer. ;) cheaper the better and i wont have to ghetto up a custom flip kit. LOL

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
got alittle more done on the trailer. almost ready to get it titled and plated! just painted in in POR15. i still have to figure out a trailer jack for it. but im waiting to remount the bed back on so i can see exactly how to mount this toolbox on the front and see what kinda room i have left!
but getting there.
i made the tongue alittle shorter so the toolbox will go ontop of the frame. just easier that way all around. i just hope ill still have enough space for a trailer jack. i want a swivel sidewinder jack. hopefully one will fit just fine as-is i just refuse to use the coupler jack, last one i tried stuck down way to far and would have got bent in no time at all!

i need another can of undercoating cause im lazy when it comes to the axle. im already wearing another POR15 by that time.LOL i swear i dam near need to wear shoulder length gloves when i brush that stuff on. no matter how hard to try i always get it on me and dont notice it until its already dry. :( o well it will wear off eventually.LOL

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
well the bed is back on. not fully bolted down yet. but its pretty much test fitted and the toolbox fits great on the front right ontop of the frame rails! so just have to drill holes for it into the frame and bolt it on as well. and i still have to order a trailer jack as well.
but like i stated I THINK before its not low enough at all!!!!!!! but its ready for me to start the titling and registration process really soon! just need to run wires for brake lights and slap some safety chains on it and bolt everything on. i should have it ready to start all the paper work for it next week! should look really good ONCE I LOWER IT.LOL

going to put the flares back on for the time being as well. also need to pull off those diamond plate caps and replace those when i actually paint the bed when some new black plastic caps i have. also gotta drop in the bed liner as well.

i wont lower the trailer just yet because id like to not do the ghetto flip kit when i have a perfectly good flip kit on my trucks rear.LOL so once i bag the rear of my truck like ive wanted for along time now and then that will free up the flip kit ;) ill also consider cutting off the front spring mounts and raising them all the way to the bottom of the bed floor! i didnt realize the bed floor would be so much higher in the front so thats where my SUPOSED to be lowered came back and kicked my ass and turned out dam near stock height! :(
o well learning experience.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
ok well i got alittle more work done to the trailer... i should have had it done built already BUT again i get lazy when i get home from work and sit back and watch tv and the heat just zaps my motivation.
BUT i got the jack welded on and lights wired up, only downfall is im pretty sure my PLUGnPLAY trailer wiring on my truck is way to corroded... it worked when i did it but afew minutes later the left turn signal doesnt want to work. :( so i just need to delete that plugnplay crap and do direct solder connections with a new trailer plug on it! that should fix it!
and only thing i have to do is drill holes for the safety chains and bolt them on. REAL SIMPLE! as soon as i get the wiring tweaked and chains bolted on then ill get the thing titled. im off work friday so it will be in the works for sure then!
i also need to unbolt the fender flare brackets and straighten them out alittle and just bolt the factory flares back on for the time being. and i also want to do one more addition and basically put a kick stand on the rear so when i sit on the tailgate with it not hooked up to a vehicle it wont flip up the front! ya i almost smacked my tailgate after unhooking it and leaning on the tailgate! :( woops! just need a simple tube and tab and small pin. sounds easy enough to me.

also installed a quick tag light. ;) took this little led tag light off a flat bed from the junkyard last year.... knew id put it to use some day ;) im leaving no chances to potential registration issues!

get to reuse my trailer lock :D

put the jack right infront of where the toolbox will be mounted later. fits perfect right there! takes quite a bit of turning to get the jack to max lift but i like it that high since less chance of it catching on something and getting bent! anyone thats used a trailer long enough knows its only a matter of time till you forget to flip it up or what not and it gets bent all crazy.lol

i also painted up some brake drums with POR15 as well and changed out the pads as well since its been about 60K miles since i replaced them so why not. and i was going to put the old drums on my trailers axle because i bought it without the drums cause it was cheaper.... WELL TURNS OUT my trucks at 10inch drum and the suv i got the axle from.... yep was the larger 11.5inch drum version..... DAM IT MAN!!!!!!
so now i dont know what i should do... just leave the drums off period or try to find some old 11.5inch drums to slap on there. but i dont wanna buy new ones :( and junkyard ones still aint cheap... still like 30bucks.... better than new but trying to find the larger size drum might be a PITA. not sure if it will really hurt the axle. i dont think ill hook up the brakes even tho it might be kinda nice for a parking brake pull handle with the Ebrake handle. but my main concern is the axle shaft seal might see more dirt and maybe hurt it alot quicker or not. not like ill be using the trailer all the time so it might not hurt much.

also noticed the drivers side helper bag was hitting the base plate alittle at times.... so i chopped that back another 1/2inch so it wont rub anymore. this was before i cut. now i just need to slap the center caps back on. ive been to lazy after replacing the brake pads on the rear.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
got alittle more done to the trailer. it should now be legal to get registered. downfall was i didnt get everything done to it till after the DMV closed friday and they closed monday my off day. so hopefully tuesday after work ill start the paper work! got trailer wiring on my truck fixed, safety chains installed on trailer, and fender flares slapped back on MOSTLY..... they are still missing several nuts on the backside to hold the flares firmly in place. but they hold just fine as-is. i also cleaned the paint pen lettering crap off the side. now that crease sticks out quite a bit on the side area BUT o well i might just try the ole dry ice and heat gun and see if that would help any or not.... what do i have to lose.LOL

and while changing my oil i noticed one of my front fog lights lenses is broke :( so that sucks! o well lights still work at least. so not super important right now ;)

i took the trailer to my local truck stop down the road and i tried to get it weighed with my truck and then without my truck BUT the scale would not register the trailer alone so i couldnt get a accurate weight :( first time i pulled onto the scale i honestly have no idea where my trailer axle was sitting. and second time i weighed it with my truck i put the trailer hitch right over the line and it said the trailer was 1K lbs then which i dont think its anywhere near 1K lbs... i think its more like the 500lbs weight! so when i get it titled of course im going to show them the 500lb print out ;)
i see alot of peoples trucks anywhere from 5800lbs or so. and with my trucks extras like subs and heavier wheels, hitch, tools and all my other toys and junk i normally have in the bed i believe the trailer is only like 500lbs.
hopefully i have no snags when titling like the last trailer i did! i wish DMV was open tomorrow on my off day! i wanna get this sucker legit!
also while test driving down country road and highway on the way back i noticed.... I REALLY NEED SHOCKS ON THIS THING.LOL so that will get added very soon! this sucker just bounces to much. i didnt see it jump off the ground but it was moving when i hit dips and bumps! lol