Will this swap work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwojoaa96

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for all the help. Ended up not going with the G30 motor. It seemed like a lot more work that I was willing to put in and didn’t know how different of a motor it actually was, but found a 1995 350 donor that I’ve started to put together for the swap. Have a couple questions.

My 4.3 doesn’t have a evap purge solenoid located on the front of the intake manifold behind the alternator like the 350 does. It just had the evap vaccuum line running directly to from the charcoal canister to the throttle body. What should I do about that in the swap. Just forget it exists or??

Are the oil pressure sensors interchanable?

Are the starters interchangeable?

Is the 5 blade clutch fan hood enough for the 350 cooling system the one on my 4.3 appeared to be the same size as the one in my junk 350 but in better condition. Didn’t know if there was a difference.

I am pretty in knowledgeable in the the field of knock sensors. When I was loading the motor. It had a pretty nice jump on the forks but didn’t break nothing. Is that sensor or any other sensor sensitive enough to break from a jolt like that?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your going to have to do one of two things. Use the PCM for the 350 which will use the CCP solenoid or reprogram your PCM for the correct number of cylinders and injector data. If you use your PCM then the charcoal canister purge hose goes to a ported vacuum port on the TB just like your 262.
Five blade fan will cool the 350 but if you can get a hold of a later 9 blade plastic fan or there is an 11 blade Ford fan that fits your fan clutch. If you didn't physically break the KS it should be OK. That will be another thing to change in the chip.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
found a 1995 350 donor that I’ve started to put together for the swap.

My 4.3 doesn’t have a evap purge solenoid located on the front of the intake manifold behind the alternator like the 350 does. It just had the evap vaccuum line running directly to from the charcoal canister to the throttle body. What should I do about that in the swap. Just forget it exists or??
Does the computer and wire harness you're going to use have provision for the EVAP solenoid?

Realistically, you should have the computer and perhaps the harness from the 350 donor vehicle, and it may still need modification for gear ratio, among other things.

Are the oil pressure sensors interchanable?
Did the vehicle the engine came out of have the same pressure range on the gauge as the vehicle it's going into (0--60 vs. 0--80, typically.) If so, and it has the same number of electrical terminals, it's interchangeable.

Are the starters interchangeable?
Is the ring gear the same diameter?

Is the 5 blade clutch fan hood enough for the 350 cooling system
Probably. Not saying you couldn't do better, but the 5-blade fan and fan clutch is what my '88 uses.

When I was loading the motor. It had a pretty nice jump on the forks but didn’t break nothing. Is that sensor or any other sensor sensitive enough to break from a jolt like that?
Jolt, no. Actual impact damage, yes.

Connect a scan tool, verify EVERY sensor and computer output when you get the engine running.

mwojoaa96

Reaction score
So realistically I should either find a harness or reprogram one of the ECUs I have to accommodate for the CCP. I didn’t know how poorly the engine would run if I just ran the vaccuum line straight to from the charcoal canister to the tbi like on the 262 and ran the 350 computer. As long as it doesn’t adjust spark it should be good but that’s wishful thinking

These trucks are almost identical, down to the options, drive train and color, only difference is that motor and that damn little sensor bolted to the thermo housing

If I did want to reprogram could you link me to a resource for that? Is that a DIY thing or do I have to take it to someone that deals with obd1 era computers? Black Bear didn’t have anything for pre-96.
Otherwise I’ll just go find a harness.

Did not know about the fan options thanks a lot!

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running your CCP direct to ported vacuum will not make the engine run bad,it will if you run it to direct manifold vacuum,then it becomes a vacuum leak. For simplicity sake reprogram your 262 ECM. The way I would do it would to download TunerPro RT,buy an ALDL cable,a prom reader/burner and a SST27SF512 EEPROM. gearheadefi.com has .bins(the binary data) and there should be one for a '95 C-1500,350 with an automatic with your ECM. Burn that .bin onto the chip,pop it in the ECM and you should be good to go.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In case you haven't realized it yet the V8 uses different motor mount pads. Another thing to keep in mind is the V6 4L60-E has fewer clutch plates in the 3-4 pack than the V8 version. It will work fine until you really start using that bigger motor. May want to keep your foot out of it until you can get your tranny upgraded or keep a tow strap under the seat.

mwojoaa96

Reaction score
Running your CCP direct to ported vacuum will not make the engine run bad,it will if you run it to direct manifold vacuum,then it becomes a vacuum leak. For simplicity sake reprogram your 262 ECM. The way I would do it would to download TunerPro RT,buy an ALDL cable,a prom reader/burner and a SST27SF512 EEPROM. gearheadefi.com has .bins(the binary data) and there should be one for a '95 C-1500,350 with an automatic with your ECM. Burn that .bin onto the chip,pop it in the ECM and you should be good to go.
Allright sounds good. Just wanted to avoid limp mode but I am okay with a CEL if it comes up, as my county doesnt have emissions. I will check that tuning resource out thanks a lot.

In case you haven't realized it yet the V8 uses different motor mount pads. Another thing to keep in mind is the V6 4L60-E has fewer clutch plates in the 3-4 pack than the V8 version. It will work fine until you really start using that bigger motor. May want to keep your foot out of it until you can get your tranny upgraded or keep a tow strap under the seat.
Yes sir, I already have an upgraded trans from a 1995 F-Body 350 and motor mounts on order.