XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Jason at Unbalanced Engineering said that if the part numbers match, then his solid rag joint should work for my truck.
It sounds like I would be the one to see if it actually fits.
As I said earlier, Dorman lists the same rag joint repair kit between my '96 GMC K1500 and a '96 Z28 Camaro.
I ordered the solid rag joint from Unbalanced Engineering along with a Dorman repair kit (just in case).

Be patient with me. It may take me awhile to actually try the swap. My truck is my daily driver/work truck so it doesn't get much down time.
My steering wheel doesn't have but 1/4" play in it so I'm not in a big hurry.
I'll report back when I do finally get it done.

Laters.

You have my attention.

:)

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jason at Unbalanced Engineering said that if the part numbers match, then his solid rag joint should work for my truck.
It sounds like I would be the one to see if it actually fits.
As I said earlier, Dorman lists the same rag joint repair kit between my '96 GMC K1500 and a '96 Z28 Camaro.
I ordered the solid rag joint from Unbalanced Engineering along with a Dorman repair kit (just in case).

Be patient with me. It may take me awhile to actually try the swap. My truck is my daily driver/work truck so it doesn't get much down time.
My steering wheel doesn't have but 1/4" play in it so I'm not in a big hurry.
I'll report back when I do finally get it done.

Laters.

When you get it could you get us some measurements off it for the bolt hole spacing? I can't find a replacement rag joint for a 98 anywhere. It looks like it should work though....

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I'll get pics showing both joints and measurements also.
Yours is a 1998 GMC K1500, 5.7L, correct?
http://www.oreillyauto.com shows the same Dorman part number for your truck.
Add your vehicle ("My Vehicle" at upper left) then type in "steering part" (no quotes) in the search pane.
Works every time for me.

It's called a Dorman® Help!™ - Steering Coupler Assembly Part # 31002

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Well....It looks like it won't work. That's if the Dorman part is correct.
The Unbalanced Engineering solid joint is physically smaller in all respects. I didn't bother to remove it from it's packaging.
You must be registered for see images attach

Back to square one.
I think I'll find a used steering shaft for my truck and go from there.
It was worth a shot anyway.

Laters

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Too small in all respects. Diameter, bolts, bolt holes, center hole, bolt pattern, and thickness. This is compared to the Dorman product.
The bolt pattern is roughly an 1/8" to small (using a tape measure).

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer :( well there's always the flaming river u joint to get rid of the rag joint altogether...

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Too small in all respects. Diameter, bolts, bolt holes, center hole, bolt pattern, and thickness. This is compared to the Dorman product.
The bolt pattern is roughly an 1/8" to small (using a tape measure).

just take the dorman part to a local machine shop and have them fab one up out of aluminum.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
just take the dorman part to a local machine shop and have them fab one up out of aluminum.

My thinking also.
Truthfully, I don't know if the Dorman product is 100% correct.
Down time is a big problem for my truck. That's why I'm getting a used steering shaft.
I'll make sure the Dorman joint is correct then I'll use it as a template for either steel or aluminum.
I'll piece together the used steering shaft with a solid joint, then I'll be able to quickly R&R the shaft.