Wont Start, has Fuel and Spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
ill double check tomorrow, I borrowed my buddies truck, he wants to make sure I show up tomorrow for work.

its the 97.... guess I should of stated that, forgot I got the Dually, I hardly drive it after my chick stole it from me.

what would the VATS have to do with the Hard starts? loose connection? the wiring has been messed with 10 yrs ago, before I bought it. he did the 4 hi Mod, he had his own alarm installed and he ran wires for an amp.

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If can cut the fuel off to the engine. When mine started acting up, it would start and then die right away. 5, 10, maybe 15 times in a row before I noticed the security light on. If I leave the key on until the light turns off, it'll start every time. I'm not sure that's your issue here, but it was just an idea.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The system is called Passlock and your '97 does not have it. It didn't hit the scene until '98 model. When active, it allows the engine to start but only briefly, then immediately kills the injectors, and starts flashing the "security" lamp on the dash. Again, your '97 does not have this.

Richard

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The system is called Passlock and your '97 does not have it. It didn't hit the scene until '98 model. When active, it allows the engine to start but only briefly, then immediately kills the injectors, and starts flashing the "security" lamp on the dash. Again, your '97 does not have this.

Richard

Thanks for correcting me on the year. I thought it started in 96. That's why I brought it up.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I started it today, took a couple tries, but eventually started. I'm gonna swap plugs and wires. It's about time anyways been about 80k now that I think about it.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
It was the spark plugs. they were fried. surprised it ran at all.

they were Bosch Platinums. I dont even remember buying those. replaced with autolite double Platinums (going for longevity) truck runs like new again, and starts up quickly!

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey sorry to go off topic here but how much does it cost to get the timing belt changed? After 217,000 miles and some rought idle issues I should probably look into that.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
It was so long ago I can't remember. With a new water pump I want to say it cost me $500.