Won't shift back to park and shifts out of park without pressing brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bagged_96

Reaction score
I have a 1996 gmc Sierra with a 4l60e and it's not shifting back to park and when I take it out if park I can do it without pressing the break. It just started doing that when I changed the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
sounds like the shift interlock solenoid is messing up

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. I kind of like it

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Either the BTSI solenoid like Scruf said, or the adjustment teeth in the end of the shifter cable down at the transmission. I'd start by popping the solenoid loose under the column. If you remove the knee bolster plastic and get a good look you'll see a black rod and round object (that's the solenoid) with a two wire connector to it. You can use a screwdriver, door panel tool, etc. to pry the rod's end off the shifter linkage on the column. Now see how it behaves.

If that doesn't take care of it then the adjustment teeth on the cable probably got messed up during the trans swap. I can tell you if you're not careful you can break the holy crap out of that plastic end on the cable so don't be surprised if you wind up needing to buy another; the plastic gets very brittle with age.

Be sure to use your parking brake and/or wheel chocks, don't let that sucker get away from you while you're messing with it.

Richard

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
i had to pop the linkage on my neighbor's 95 when his wouldnt go into park

Bagged_96

Reaction score
Thanks for the help I will look at it Friday when I'm off