Window won't always roll up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCNuneZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys not sure if this is the proper place for this but hopefully you guys can help. So I have a 1994 gmc k1500 and my passenger window doesn't always roll up it is power not manual but I usually have to rock the switch like a cheat code to get it to go up (up,down, up, down, down, down, up, down, up lol) it never has a problem going down but it decides when it it's going to work to go up. What would cause this? I have been told maybe just the passenger side switch is going out and could be causing the problem but what does that have to do with the driver control of the passenger window? Thanks guys.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does it do the same thing no matter which switch you control it from? If so, it's probably something in the door binding up. If not, the switch you're having problems with is most likely going out.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Seem to recall the way the switches are wired, if either side is bad or missing, the passenger side won't work. Since your driver's door/driver's window switch is working? Try swapping the switch with the driver's door/passenger window switch (hope that makes sense); if that doesn't work, then swap that yet again with the passenger door window switch. That should let you isolate if one of them is bad.

Richard

GMCNuneZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if I were to replace both it should fix the problem.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
That would work only if the switches are bad. Try swapping the switches like mentioned above to determine if it is a switch or motor issue

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, or just replace 'em, they're not that expensive. But if you swapped switches around first you might save yourself some wasted money if it turns out to not be the switches for some reason, though it sure sounds like it.

Richard

GMCNuneZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys so I have replaced both driver and passenger side switches and now drivers side switch won't roll up passenger window will roll down but not up passenger side switch will roll it up and down no problem!

GMCNuneZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what am I missing that the driver side switch for passenger window won't go up