Driver Window wont roll down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99tahoemomma

Reaction score
My drivers side window has stopped rolling down. Last week it was making a weird noise when it was rolled down and back up, it was a little slow. All the other windows work from the drivers switch. I have read the previous discussions posted, but it doesnt seem like there is a conclusive problem. So, I am trying to decide where to drop $$ first... a new motor and regulator, or a new power window/door lock switch? Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you hear the motor activating in both directions, it's not the switch. Grinding is indicative of the gearset being stripped. Easiest method is to get regulator assembly with the motor already mounted, but you can buy the motor separate if everything else is still decent. Servicing the regulator and or motor is a bit of a PITA on these trucks.

99tahoemomma

Reaction score
I don't hear the motor activating at all anymore, just dead.
My first thought is to replace the motor and regulator with the one assembly. Then I started reading the other posts and second guessing myself with maybe needing to replace the switch.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Test for power at the motor when the switch is depressed. 2 wires go to the window motor. One is hot when the switch is pressed for down and the opposite wire carries power when the switch it pushed for up as a function of the switch. Could still be a jammed up or otherwise dead motor. I would not want to pull the hateful assembly that is the inner panel that supports the regulator and glass. With the wiring diagram could test off the back of the switch to see if it's reversing power like it should. Someone posted one not long ago but I can't remember if it was it's own thread or who posted it

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can jump power to the motor to test it and rule out the switch, and you can do this without total disassembly of the door - just have to get the panel off. Care has to be taken that when you power it up you don't have your hand in there and get a finger chopped or smashed.

Hearing weird noises during operation just prior to failure tells me it's more likely the motor than the switch.

Richard

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you heard any crunching or grinding growling noise my money is on the gearset/ motor is finally T/U. That's the difference, any abnormal noise. Replace the assembly, don't bother with just the motor or regulator. It's the same amount of labor, just do the whole assembly. Cheaper in the long run.
I did the passenger side 2 weeks ago. A regulator/ motor assembly. Works like new. Smooth, quiet. A new TYC replacement. Good luck.

99tahoemomma

Reaction score
Surprise, window is working today. Maybe yesterday it was just having a rough day, we all do some days.

I guess I will just wait now until it officially dies.... I did order a regulator/motor, but not going to disassemble all that mess unless it is really necessary.

Thanks for all the advice - I'll keep you posted :cool: