window tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am talking about backing your average unlit driveway with your average car.

With 20% on the suburban I roll down my windows to back into my garage. That's with the little rinky garage door opener light.

But like I said, the threshold is different for each person. With 1% on the rear windows of my Suburban (5% on factory 20%) I have never once rolled my windows down when backing at night. The light from my reverse lights is plenty. With 1.75% on the rear windows of my CTS (35% and 5%) I've never rolled the windows down to back. Both have 30% on the front doors.

Now, my '91 has 5% on the doors and 2 layers of 5% on the rear window. In that one I DO roll the windows down to back up.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
They don't make a 2% film, so to get 2% you would have to do a layer of 20% and a layer of 5%. But as kn1ght suggests, you may be thinking backwards as to what the percentages are.

If you want to get technical, anything darker than 100% and you start losing visibility at night, but every person has a different threshold for what is too dark for them at night.

They make 2.5...

Sent from my infected Android using tapatalk.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But like I said, the threshold is different for each person. With 1% on the rear windows of my Suburban (5% on factory 20%) I have never once rolled my windows down when backing at night. The light from my reverse lights is plenty. With 1.75% on the rear windows of my CTS (35% and 5%) I've never rolled the windows down to back. Both have 30% on the front doors.

Now, my '91 has 5% on the doors and 2 layers of 5% on the rear window. In that one I DO roll the windows down to back up.

I would assume you have LED tails though correct?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would assume you have LED tails though correct?

The Suburban does and my '91 has LED strips, but when backing up at night that makes no difference. I never had to roll the windows down on the Suburban with the same tint and stock tails.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Suburban does and my '91 has LED strips, but when backing up at night that makes no difference. I never had to roll the windows down on the Suburban with the same tint and stock tails.

Then I think I should make an appointment with the eye doctor. :uhoh2:

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly, if you want tint get at least 20%. I have seen people who do 35% and it is just a waste of $$ IMO.

I would go darker than 20% if I think that I could get away with it. Legal here for the front two is like 50% iirc.

I have talked to a couple officers about tint and for the most part they say they don't care as long as they can see what your doing when they pull up behind you. They only give tint tickets if you are pissing them off. We did have one cop who had a hard on for tint to the point of coming to the shop and telling us he was gonna pull over every car we did, but I haven't seen him around for a long while.

If your still confused about the numbers, the % is how much light the film lets through.

Edit - Every single vehicle I have ever owned had 20% and I was always able to see the drivers seat through the back window. Even on my grand turd that had 20% on all the windows.