Widest WHEEL possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Europaman

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for the most over ask question possibly. Not even sure how to ask it or if it makes sense, but here goes. I tried to search but the search parameters aren't very forgiving.
I currently have 16" x 8" wheels that upon taking one off and measuring it's actually only 7.5". They appear very similar to AR62 Outlaw II, that are in rough shape on my '89 Sierra K1500 rcsb. It has the factory stock height. I would like to put wheels on that have a more "deep dish" look.. like 16 x 10s if I can find them. I'm looking at same or similar style that's polished not coated probably. Not sure which is preferable as far as maintenance is concerned. Anyway, I digress.

What is the widest wheel and the associated back spacing/offset that will fit without any mods? I realize it the tire that's going to rub but I gotta start somewhere. Thanks. Hope yall get my ramblings.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you going for + offset (as per stock so they don't stick out)then it's gonna be hard to find deep dish with 10"width. If you don't care about wheels stocking out then go for 0 offset or something. My tahoe had these on and like I said in number of threads it was constantly seeking tramlines-as it was catching the inner edges of tramlines with inner edges of the tires-so the truck was going from 1 to the other. It was I'd say dangerous. Then I switched to 0 offset and the problem disapeared as the track widened.
I'm in Europe tho so maybe my tramlines problem won't apply to you.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And that's on old 20s I had-I truly hated those wheels.I can't remember now but I think they were 10" wide. Tyre was 285/20/45. Offset I think +25 or +35. I had no rubbing issues on them. Suspension stock-however it's z 71 so it's slightly lifted from the factory.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Europaman

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. So you don't have any lift or leveling, the wheels are 17 x 9, and tires are what size now? No rubbing issues?
I wish I could just order some 16" x 10", bolt them on without any lift or leveling and not have them rub. Don't want to mess with the chassis since I just a few months ago installed all new front and rear suspension parts. Now I need new wheels and I wasn't expecting to have to replace them back then when I rebuilt everything.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. So you don't have any lift or leveling, the wheels are 17 x 9, and tires are what size now? No rubbing issues?
I wish I could just order some 16" x 10", bolt them on without any lift or leveling and not have them rub. Don't want to mess with the chassis since I just a few months ago installed all new front and rear suspension parts. Now I need new wheels and I wasn't expecting to have to replace them back then when I rebuilt everything.
265/70717-it roughly is the same diameter as original ones for z71. 17x9-0 offset. No rubbing issues-just when im on full lock passenger side tire catches mudflap a little(as it's not as flush as the other one)-but it's not a big problem-you hear it when reversing.
No lift or leveling.
On those 20s also no rubbing issues-but general diameter if the wheel was smaller as I run 285/40/20. Hance the skinny,undersized look of these wheels.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tire-size-calculator-tire-dimensions
I used this calculator to check how big alloy/tyre combo is-it gives you measurement if you decide to change alloy diameter(from 15 to 16" for example)-you then should find a smaller tyre to keep general wheel diameter. This way you can avoid rubbing.
Having said that you must remember that if the offset remains the same as original abd you gi from 8" to 10 then wheel sits much deeper in the wheelarch-so smaller tyre may be required to avoid rubbing. But with smaller wheel you may experience speedo issues-tho I'm not 100% sure as I had this issue on mustang but on the tahoe after fitting bigger wheels speedo was still off substantially and generally it changed nothing.

Last edited: