Where to get R12 refilled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Shops around me won't touch R-12 systems other than to convert to R-134 and then charge an arm and a leg to do it, claiming EPA regulations or some BS like that. Sad, really sad.

dans

Reaction score
I converted my 1990 to r134a and it blows very cold.All I did was buy the $10 kit,a new ac dryer for $45 and removed my compressor.I drained the compressor and put in the sugested amount of pag oil.I replaced all the o rings for the compressor,lines and ac dryer.Then I hooked up my ac vaccume pump for about 2 hrs to get out all the moisture.I then refilled my system with 3.5 12oz cans of r134a.Blows cold and I live in Texas.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Up here in Manitoba anyways, R12 is completely ruled out. You can not purchase, sell, release.. etc. R12. If you have any, dont think you can even use it. You must require the provincial permit to work on A/C automotive systems and $20 renew charge every year but its a 2 day course and $400 first go around. Lucky enough to get mine through school. If any EPA official type of person catches you releasing the refrigerant you can get $50K charge first time I believe, shop gets hit and charges go up after continual release. You also require the MOPIA card in my area to purchase, sell, or work on systems.

That aside, R134A is a MUCH better refrigerant than R12. Convert and you won't regret.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I've had every car that was R-12 converted to 134a. For my Firebird, nothing was changed, the system was evacuated, the fittings were added and 134a was put in. I remember the car when it had R-12 in it, would leak out every year and my dad would have it charged the following spring. I converted it 3 or 4 years ago and is still blowing just as cold as the day it was done, so it wont leak out of the "old hoses." It's also just as cold as the R-12 was, if not colder, despite what all the people say about conversions. My GF's Town Car & my Town Car have been converted, all of those are going strong, nice and cold. I highly recommend it. If they have to replace the receiver/dryer thing it will bring the cost up some but should be less than 300. I think my Fireturd was done for 180 or less. Well worth it.