What's needed for throttle body swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting ready to put on a new throttle body on my '90 k 1500 305.

What will I need for the swap other then a gasket between the tbi and the manifold? Will some carb cleaner be a good idea?

Thanks

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing besides the gasket under the tb, some tb cleaner wouldn't hurt, but if you were going to try And clean it I'd go ahead and pick up a rebuild kit, there super basic, not much to them

99'Yukon

Reaction score
Well I guess that depends on what tb your switching to/using. Like bam said though, nothing a new gasket and some good cleaner won't fix. I've become accustomed to starter fluid as a cleaner because it breaks down grime efficiently and most importantly evaporates quickly. A new gasket kit is essential when caring for the tb. If you're going to go as far as changing the tb gasket, why not go ahead and do the whole tb/plenum setup? It will honestly save you the hassle in the long run and give you peace if mind. :wink:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Well I guess that depends on what tb your switching to/using. Like bam said though, nothing a new gasket and some good cleaner won't fix. I've become accustomed to starter fluid as a cleaner because it breaks down grime efficiently and most importantly evaporates quickly. A new gasket kit is essential when caring for the tb. If you're going to go as far as changing the tb gasket, why not go ahead and do the whole tb/plenum setup? It will honestly save you the hassle in the long run and give you peace if mind. :wink:
He is changing the Throttle Body?

what do you mean by plenum setup? intake manifold?

99'Yukon

Reaction score
He is changing the Throttle Body?

what do you mean by plenum setup? intake manifold?

When I said "plenum set-up", I mean't from upper intake on up. Whether or not he decides to do lower intake gaskets is up to him, but if no leaks then no point really. Unless you just want to do it if updated gaskets haven't already been installed on the motor.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming on a 90, he'd just need a new gasket for the throttle body.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All you need is a gasket like everyone else has said, really easy to do, is the new TBI rebuilt? If not clean it up and rebuild it deff worth doing, and the TBI mods too if you want

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. A fully rebuilt unit will be going on.

One more thing, I see there are two different gaskets. The two part numbers I found from fel-pro are 60903 and 60759. One has the two holes and the other has the middle cut out between the two holes. Does that make a difference or will either one work?

Thanks

Last edited: