1992 throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a bad thing. I removed the butterflies withe the hopes of cleaning/restoring not realizing the screws were welded to the shaft. Snapped them off and no way to replace.
Oops! Those screws are not normally welded to the shaft but they do have a blob of weld on the tip of the screws to prevent them from backing all the way out. The screws are not hardened,you may still be able to drill through them and run them on through with a square extractor. The drill bit may bite and run them on through while drilling. The screws are #6-40 oval head. Drive type doesn't matter.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oops! Those screws are not normally welded to the shaft but they do have a blob of weld on the tip of the screws to prevent them from backing all the way out. The screws are not hardened,you may still be able to drill through them and run them on through with a square extractor. The drill bit may bite and run them on through while drilling. The screws are #6-40 oval head. Drive type doesn't matter.
Did some research and it seems no one produces oval head screws in 6-40 but flathead screws are readily available.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a bad thing. I removed the butterflies withe the hopes of cleaning/restoring not realizing the screws were welded to the shaft. Snapped them off and no way to replace.
I did the same thing so don't feel bad. I was lucky enough that there was enough thread left on the screw that I could screw them back in and used Loktite to stop them being inhaled by the engine. If I am correct that lump is not weld but pressed like a rivet so you may be able to grip it enough to just unscrew it.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a stripped down TBI body from a 93... but I am road tripping this weekend and I need to double check it's ok for usage ... it came off a parts truck and I haven't looked at in 2 years... hope i can find it

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the screws welded, or merely staked? (Bottom of the threads under the throttle shaft deformed on purpose.)

Once the screw head is broken off, I'd expect to be able to unscrew the threaded shank from the underside.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of what I have (can provide more if needed).

If you want it we can determine how to exchange information.

Attachments

• 20240413_081135[1].jpg
    20240413_081135[1].jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240413_081227[1].jpg
    20240413_081227[1].jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 10

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of what I have (can provide more if needed).

If you want it we can determine how to exchange information.
That's a pre-1991 TBI - note the "flat 3" style TPS connector. 1991-up uses a small round connector.

Richard

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can the TPS be swapped between the 2? The truck it came from was a '91 but no way of knowing if it the original or if the change over happended during the '91 MY.