What to Do w/ Old exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nate

Reaction score
I have a '94 GMC 2500 LD (ext. cab, 5.7L) that I need to replace exhaust on, I believe. The tip is rusted and the muffler looks like it may rust through in a spot or two soon. I'm wondering what you'd recommend. Now I know how you all like to trick your street trucks out, but I dont' want a lot of noise out of it as it's a work/hunting truck, but wouldn't mind if I got a little more power/mpg. I was thinking cat back, but would like to know what you'd recommend. I have looked at the dynomax 17380 and also truckexhaustkits.com. Do any of you have experience with either or better options? Also, do you have to worry about the clamps leaking? I could get someone to weld for me, just wondering. It's obviously not a new truck and I don't want to put tons of $$$ but where it's only got 118K on it I want to get it to at least double that out of it. Thanks.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would find a local muffler shop and have them make you up a system youll save alot of cash going that route. Look into a magnaflow muffler there great mufflers and not that noisy

nate

Reaction score
Thanks...one was telling me roughly $550 (I don't think he's very hungry), but I need to talk to others still. I've always heard good about the magnaflows.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I remember right I payed something like $300 when i first got my truck to have the exhaust done

nate

Reaction score
Thanks, RAGMC. I'm wondering when a shop did yours did they weld it? I've heard some say they worry about leaks if you use clamps. I looked and mine has clamps and I believe it's all factory on it. Thanks for your input.

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my local area exhaust shop charges 100 with no cat with one tip with a magna flow knock off. and 200 for dual exhaust with the same set up <

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I had it done it was all welded but he did leave the flange at the converter going to the Y-pipe. Ive never had any problems with it leaking. Also when I did it the first time it was with a new cat,muffler and chrome tailpipe.

nate

Reaction score
Thanks..that's good to know. I may get a good deal from a local shop, I just need to check around. I'd still like to know of experience anyone has had with the Dynomax super turbo cat-back set up.

nate

Reaction score
No one with Dynomax super turbo cat back kits? Bump.

nate

Reaction score
Update w/ questions. I got under my truck and there seems like there is a spot or two where rust is coming through the muffler. I tapped the muffler w/ the butt of screw driver and hear rattling stuff inside. Muffler is bad, right? The interm. pipe looks like it may have rust coming through in one spot too, and where that pipe flange connects just after the CAT looks like there's a leak (blackish area on bottom side right in the gap. I'm assuming the gasket is "fried". So now I'm thinking, is the cat rusted? I know they say its fine if you have no real loss of power and the check engine light isn't coming on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly "green" w/ exhausts and don't want to have to do it twice once I'm in the middle of it. Thanks.