what rpms is a stock vortec 350 good for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shownshine55

Reaction score
What is the rpm range on a stock vortec 350? I know that the black box won't let you go past 6000rpms, but a stock 350 vortec isn't making power up there either. So what kind of rpms would a stock 350 with a 3.42 rear gear be turning cruising along at 30 mph? I'm looking at cams in the 1000-5000rpm and 1200-5200rpm range. Of course I want a big cam, but if its not going to do me any good from a stop to 30 mph or so I'm going with the smaller cam. I have upgraded valve springs, cai, headers, exhaust, torque converter, and willbe getting a tune.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
The black box actually stops you in the mid-5000 range, I don't remember exactly where.
65 MPH is 1800 RPM in OD with 3.42s and stock tires (235/75R15), what size do you have? 30 MPH on stock tires is about 850 RPM in OD, 1200 RPM if OD isn't engaged.
If you're going to pay for a tune, you should do the 0411 swap. It's worth it, MUCH more tuneable than the black box and very easy to repin. Opens up many more options than the BB

Last edited:

shownshine55

Reaction score
I forget the actual diameter of my rear tires. I'm thinking around 28". It is a 255/55/18 BFG KDW. I had suggested doing the 411 swap to the tuner I am going with and with a few others who seem to know alot about these sort of things. All said the same thing, that because I am doing such a mild build, the blackbox can be tuned to work with my combination. Another thing with this truck is that it willbe put up for sale once I have completed it (it is apart for body work). All the parts going into this truck are parts that I had including a fresh 355 just sitting in the garage. I do not have a 411 pcm handy so if the tuner says I do not have to have it, I'll try running it without the swap. I am going to go ahead and put a little cam in though to replace the lt1 cam that is in it. I thought that I may drive it for a little while with that for sale sign in it so i had better give it a little get up and go to make it fun. Getn back to the cam selection, does the lsa of a cam affect the tune? I thought it would. One of the cams i am considering had a 108* lsa. It was in the 1000-5000 rpm range and cam company said it gave a noticable idle. Not a big cam at all, but with the lumpier idle maybe the tuner would change his mind about the 411 swap. I'll run it by him. If the 108*lsa dosen't work, there were also cams listed with a 110*,112*, & 114* lsa and all were close in size with the rpm ranges listed above. They also had cams listed with the same duration and lift numbers but with the different lsas. I really would like to have that noticable lumpy idle though.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
daily driver? i would recomend somewhere around 110-114 lobe seperation. low to mid 200s duration and mid to high 400s for lift. youll be happy unless your wanting to make tons of power

shownshine55

Reaction score
not really a daily driver, but once it is sold it could be for someone else. good info to know 92GMC, I was looking for some advice like that!