What mods acually work for the heavy suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 95 suburban and i asked this question before and was told to sell the truck and get a vortec one. This is not going to happen. i am going to swap the engine but that will not happen for about 9 months to a year. so based on that what mods can i do that will work on the heavy suburban? i'm not trying to get some large hp output here just would like to max out the tbi. what ever that maybe 5 hp or 50 hp does not matter. it just bugs me that there might be some hp on the table until i can swap.

DieselPower

Reaction score
The cam dictates the power, I'd pick a nice, torquey one for that beast. Consider some roller rockers as well, that'll give you a bit more usable power. If you cannot do the cam, perhaps the higher ratio roller rockers will help make up for it. The Vortec's advantage comes from better breathing heads, but if you aren't shooting for big hp numbers at higher rpms, the heads you have should be adequate. Headers and cold air intake would be good too.

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cam dictates the power, I'd pick a nice, torquey one for that beast. Consider some roller rockers as well, that'll give you a bit more usable power. If you cannot do the cam, perhaps the higher ratio roller rockers will help make up for it. The Vortec's advantage comes from better breathing heads, but if you aren't shooting for big hp numbers at higher rpms, the heads you have should be adequate. Headers and cold air intake would be good too.

can anyone suggest a good torquey cam?

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
which gears out of what truck?

most 2wd trucks came with 3:42s have to check the rpo codes in the glove box. gu6 is a 342 i think. but an upgrade to gu4 3:73 or 4:10's gu5 i think would really get the suburban moving. thats what i plan to do on my 4x4 suburban that has 3:73s i plan to do a 4:10 swap. most 4x4s with 10 bolts have 3:73s though

Reaction score
I did all the Extreme TBI mod's on my 93 Sub. that are listed on 3rd Gen.org, added headers, Comp Cams 1.6 ratio roller rockers, the only other change I did was the TBI spacer, I went from the 2 hole swirl spacer to a wide open spacer, this made the biggest improvement.
The air fuel ratio runs consistantly at 14.7 at highway speeds towing a trailer, whack it wide open it runs 12.5 to 13 to 1. I have not changed the injectors or the fuel pressure regulator.
I feel I have gone as far as one can go on a stock TBI 350 without programming or changing the cam and heads or both. It's a little harder to start when cold, idles a little rough, but once it warms up it idles and runs great.
I would love to add Vortec heads and Comp Cam 08-500-8, Vortec Performer intake and the FAST 4 barrel TB system and keep my stock computer to run my 4l60e.

Cheers

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did all the Extreme TBI mod's on my 93 Sub. that are listed on 3rd Gen.org, added headers, Comp Cams 1.6 ratio roller rockers, the only other change I did was the TBI spacer, I went from the 2 hole swirl spacer to a wide open spacer, this made the biggest improvement.
The air fuel ratio runs consistantly at 14.7 at highway speeds towing a trailer, whack it wide open it runs 12.5 to 13 to 1. I have not changed the injectors or the fuel pressure regulator.
I feel I have gone as far as one can go on a stock TBI 350 without programming or changing the cam and heads or both. It's a little harder to start when cold, idles a little rough, but once it warms up it idles and runs great.
I would love to add Vortec heads and Comp Cam 08-500-8, Vortec Performer intake and the FAST 4 barrel TB system and keep my stock computer to run my 4l60e.

Cheers

you said you added headers. did you also replace the y pipe, cat and exhaust?