What is this? And can I get rid of it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeyHustle

Reaction score
Just found this site, and I love it!!

I recently bought a 98 4wd Tahoe, and it has this garbage pump. Can I get rid of this?

I ask because my 98 2wd had an empty spot there. My 96 2wd had a storage box.

Also, if it's needed. Why didn't my 2wd 98 or 96 have this?

Thanks in advance.

(This directly behind the drivers headlight)

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where do the two hoses go?

Never seen one of those, would bet it is aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No kidding. Is that only for California emissions vehicles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The elusive A.I.R. pump... Never seen one of them here in Missouri. I believe they were for CA emissions vehicles only.

EDIT - One of the hoses should go to a bung on an exhaust manifold, not 100% sure about the other one.

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These guys are correct it is a California model only air pump period in that you live in the Bay Area you are completely screwed.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have that in my 99 burb an always wondered where those one of the hoses go. One just come out and does a 90 to nothing and always wanted to put a second battery there but wasnt sure if i can pass ca emissions without it.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
The elusive A.I.R. pump... Never seen one of them here in Missouri. I believe they were for CA emissions vehicles only.

EDIT - One of the hoses should go to a bung on an exhaust manifold, not 100% sure about the other one.
These guys are correct it is a California model only air pump period in that you live in the Bay Area you are completely screwed.
I'm guessing they implemented those things after '96... or is my truck missing it? My '96 Suburban has a storage box instead of one of those things.

EDIT: I should also add the truck passes SMOG with no issues and is a California truck.