What goes into De-Californifying our trucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
all vehicles sold in the USA are CA emission equipped... thank you very much congress, dick-heads....
however, your state may actually have a copy of the US constitution on hand, and not require, or care about ;the CA emissions standards, and therefore not enforce them.

this is why you cannot get a diesel in anything lighter than a huge 2500 3500 truck... its why "engine options" are now a thing of the past...

so if jeep wanted to make a wrangler with a 6.2L magnum V8 or a 50MPG diesel... they would be sued in congressional court for making a car CA law makers deemed "unsellable in their state" behind closed doors..... so every time Detroit tries to make something CA leads the pack on making it lame and economical- knowing nothing about cars from the start.

that being said:
if you really want to de-emission the whole truck..... you will need a different intake manifold, TBI, and fuel management system.
then program it to run how you want with a laptop
or you could just go carbureted...
((whatever you do, do not mess with/remove the charcoal can & fuel vapor system!!!! you need that to prevent a firey death))

Never even heard of a charcoal can or fuel vapor system. Is that something unique to california emissions equipped vehicles... or is it on all vehicles?

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
All vehicles federal or California.
They want the fuel system vapors sealed from the environment (gas tank, fuel lines, etc.).
The charcoal canister is designed to clean the fuel vapors when the gas tank needs to vent to atmosphere (pressure venting).
In Colorado, they will go as far as to test your gas cap to make sure it's sealing properly.
Emissions testing sucks.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So much fail in this thread.

Really, just leave it alone.

Contrary to "popular" opinion, late model emissions controls do nothing bad for you and everything good. As long as they are maintained that is, just like everything else in a vehicle.

For example: EGR is evil right?

Wrong.

Recirculating egr reduces combustion temperatures. Outside of the emissions benefits, the reduced temperatures stave off knock. This allows the engine to dial in more ignition advance. Which equals more power. Far more than what the internet "experts" will try to tell you it displaces in combustible fuel/air mixture.

Air pump does nothing but help fully combust waste petrochemicals in the exhaust. It costs you one or two HP at worst. Actually, I don't even remember there being on an a 99 GMT400. Could be though.

Your exhaust system as you describe it is normal for the year. Right down to the upstream/downstream O2 sensors.

Vapor recovery systems have nothing to do with "fiery deaths" either. That's what the rollover valve in the tank is for. Vapor recovery does exactly what the name suggests: it recycles fuel "flash off" from the tank and routes it though the engine for combustion purposes. The carbon canister is what is in earlier vehicles, it's just tubing in later models.

If you start ripping things off in a misguided attempt to "de-emissions" it, you're more likely to end up with a poor running truck than anything else.

This emissions equipment is evil" thing is now an urban myth. Once upon a time, emissions were a pita, but that was back in the late 70's early 80's. Modern emissions are fully integrated into the vehicle now and are actually a plus, not a minus. That's why you have an ECM running the fuel injection in your vehicle, it's there for emissions.

Putting a couple bucks into a hi performance cat back exhaust will net you far more than any "DE-emmissioning" it ever will...

Last edited:

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Never intended, or implied, I was going to recklessly 'rip' anything out of my truck. I came here for guidance. Also, I don't intend to take out the EGR system, I know its benefits.

The air pump is an annoyance, though. Regardless of what it does, its costing me money to keep it as I would have to pay extra for compatible long tubes, or have a shop weld in whatever. And it takes up space...

Thanks for your input, though.

Sent from The Burb via Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:lol: Done and done. Shotgun shells and a spare clip in the glovebox, shotgun under rear seat, Springfield .40 on my hip. Concealed carry is legal in AZ, without a permit - I feel bad for the a**hole who ever crosses me or my family with ill intentions.

Just a heads up... Conceal carry is not legal in Az without a permit according to the Az dps web site.. I just got back from vacation there last week and was there for two weeks so I had to look into it then.. Open carry is what is legal with no permit though...even for out of staters that are visiting....

Sent from what use to be a great country.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
So much fail in this thread.

Really, just leave it alone.

Contrary to "popular" opinion, late model emissions controls do nothing bad for you and everything good. As long as they are maintained that is, just like everything else in a vehicle.

For example: EGR is evil right?

Wrong.

Recirculating egr reduces combustion temperatures. Outside of the emissions benefits, the reduced temperatures stave off knock. This allows the engine to dial in more ignition advance. Which equals more power. Far more than what the internet "experts" will try to tell you it displaces in combustible fuel/air mixture.

Air pump does nothing but help fully combust waste petrochemicals in the exhaust. It costs you one or two HP at worst. Actually, I don't even remember there being on an a 99 GMT400. Could be though.

Your exhaust system as you describe it is normal for the year. Right down to the upstream/downstream O2 sensors.

Vapor recovery systems have nothing to do with "fiery deaths" either. That's what the rollover valve in the tank is for. Vapor recovery does exactly what the name suggests: it recycles fuel "flash off" from the tank and routes it though the engine for combustion purposes. The carbon canister is what is in earlier vehicles, it's just tubing in later models.

If you start ripping things off in a misguided attempt to "de-emissions" it, you're more likely to end up with a poor running truck than anything else.

This emissions equipment is evil" thing is now an urban myth. Once upon a time, emissions were a pita, but that was back in the late 70's early 80's. Modern emissions are fully integrated into the vehicle now and are actually a plus, not a minus. That's why you have an ECM running the fuel injection in your vehicle, it's there for emissions.

Putting a couple bucks a hi performance cat back exhaust will net you far more than any "DE-emmissioning" it ever will...

Noyce! Im savin this to my notepad

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up... Conceal carry is not legal in Az without a permit according to the Az dps web site.. I just got back from vacation there last week and was there for two weeks so I had to look into it then.. Open carry is what is legal with no permit though...even for out of staters that are visiting....

Sent from what use to be a great country.

I think you got your facts wrong, may want to dig a little more. Everywhere that used to be open carry, is now concealed carry for residents of the state. Concealed carry is still restricted though, and you may not bring in firearms to public building that does not allow firearms. You will find that in Arizona, almost all businesses have a no firearms allowed sign up. Well, in the upity-upity areas like Gilbert, Chandler, Tucson, etc anyways. Places like where I live, Show Low, everyone carries and very few of the business don't allow firearms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Arizona
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/20100729arizona-concealed-weapons-law.html
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/arizona.aspx