What cost to prepare for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Barry

Reaction score
Yes, quite a few. You need to move the trans crossmember backwards on the frame, install a shorter driveshaft (and longer front driveshaft if it's a 4WD), different cooler lines, a few small wiring modifications, and lots of other little things. The hardest part in regards to your '93 will probably be finding someone who can tune the computer to control the 4L80E. You could always install a stand alone controller for it but that's a lot of money, and I know the older TBI PCMs are capable of controlling a 4L80E. I bet someone on the Gearhead EFI forums could help you further with that.

I posted this link on the last page, but here it is again. This is my thread documenting the swap in my red '97 C1500. It has newer electronics than what can be found in your '93 so most of that info will be irrelevant, but reading though the thread should at least give you an idea of what's necessary.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/97-c1500-4l60e-to-4l80e-swap.38819/
Yikes; but thanks!

Mikecap

Reaction score
I had mine rebuilt by a shop in Detroit. He's actually the supplier for a ton of other trans shops in metro Detroit. He has a guy come in after hours to do the rebuilds on the side. I paid $900 (took him only the trans). The receipt says 5 pinion R planet, shift kit, vette' servo, kevlar band, beast sunshell, H.D. Z pack 8 clutch 3-4 upgrade, 2000 stall. (Hard to read writing, but this is what it says). I thought about swapping to an 80E, and still might do it when/if this one takes a ****. I've been beating on this for the past 5k ish miles with no complaints.

There is a local trans shop who charges out of the ass. Funny thing is, he gets his parts from the shop that rebuilt mine. The shop in Detroit charges $800-$900 to rebuild and beef up an 80E, while the other guy charges $1800-$2000.
I’m in Detroit and looking to get my 60e rebuilt who’d you take it to?

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I spent $3200 for the R&R, rebuild and upgrades. My stock trans lasted 210k. Only issue inside was 3rd gear clutches were worn pretty good. She should be good to go for another 200k.