What cartridges need for Mt2500 (red brick)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vetteman61

Reaction score
I have a Snap On Mt2500, referred to as the red brick. I also have a 1999 Suburban 5.7 4x2.

I'm curious what cartridges I would need in order to work with my suburban. Will one cartridge do everything I need, such and reading and clearing codes, setting the timing, etc?

Thanks,

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need the newest primary gm cartridge, it will go to 2000. The troubleshooter cartridge is also a good idea but not required. You also need the K9 identity key and the obd2 adapter.

Vetteman61

Reaction score
Would you happen to have a picture of what those might look like? Would I need to verify from whoever I buy it from that the primary cartridge has been updated, or is it something that "is what it is" and wouldn't have been updated? Is the k9 identity key a cartridge as well? I think that I already have the cable. Will the Primary Cartridge, Troubleshooter Cartridge and the K9 Identity Key be everything I would need to use all of the features of the MT2500 for a '99 Suburban?

I'd like to be able to do and check everything that it's capable of, and I'll learn how to do it all after I get them.

Thanks

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a red brick but wondering if it's really worth it :shrug: I have a '99 & '95,both burbs.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will take a picture for you probably tomorrow. The primary cartridge will say on it what it will cover to. The K9 key goes into the obd2 adapter and is essentially a chip for GM applications. My red brick has been a great tool but if you don't use it all of the time it can be difficult to diagnose. I had a problem with a 2000 with the 4.8 and it was driving me nuts. I posted the info here and Sattr immediately said that I had a vacuum leak. Sure enough, I found a hole in the intake.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
A pic would be great.I've seen some on eBay & CL,some with and some without the cartridges.I looking for something more detail oriented than Torque(and the like).