What am I getting into with sloppy tilt wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, thats me. This place is like the Fabo of GM trucks. I feel right at home here too. The net is bringing people closer thats for sure. I got a build thread for my truck going. Doing lots of work on it little by little.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
That's awesome. Why didn't you spring for 4x4, shortbox or a two-tone paint scheme? Was 3.55 the "hottest" ratio you could get? How many miles are on your truck now? Does it burn oil or did it right from the factory?

My truck had to be a custom order too, although I'm probably the 5th owner of it. It is a Scottsdale regular cab, shortbox, 4x4 350, 5 speed truck with 3.73's (open). Other options include the light package which has the underhood light as well as the fender mounted reel one, tilt wheel, A/C, cruise control, sliding rear window, cargo light and two tone paint, the stripe going down the middle. Had a crummy bench seat, no power windows or locks & rubber floors.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I always planned on putting a smooth cheyenne front bumper and pulling the chrome and mouldings off the body, ditching the dumbo ears and putting 454SS mirrors on it. I think the cheapo plastic mouldngs spoiled a great styled body. Removing them would not have worked with the 2 tone paint which has a rough tape line under the mouldings which seperate it. As a matter of fact, if it came 2 tone i would have refused it.

You could have went up to 4.10 ratio, but i was looking for a good mix of lower end grunt, towing and highway fuel economy. No 4x4 for me. I'm not into offroading, it was extra weight, cost and complexity for something i wasnt into. I am into hot rods, muscle cars etc. Plus for me a locker in the back was more than plenty to keep me mobile on snow covered roads. Not into slushboxes, so a NV3500 5 speed O/D was what i went with lol.

I wanted to eventually lower it a bit, cowl hood, twin exhausts, make it handle, kinda like a muscle truck. I went silverado because of the nicer trimmed interior silverado had over the cheyenne, wasnt that much more money than the cheyenne. Went 8 foot bed because there was no price difference between that and a 6 footer. I planned on buying a home eventually when i bought my truck. Thinking ahead, i would prefer to haul lumber and sheetrock with the tailgate shut.

Yes it was using oil from day 1. Pretty badly. 1.5 qts in 3k miles. Dealer pulled the heads, said the guides were over sized badly. Installed 16 new valve guides and i was on my way. Truck has about 150K, original clutch, engine hasnt been apart since dealer warranty work when it was less than 1 year old.

The cool thing about special ordering back then was everything was alacarte' above the basic trim level you picked. It was like Burger King have it your way. They will build it your way. I had to fight back really hard about using the COPO option at the dealer to get it factory painted 1994 corvette light teal green.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Instead, my buddy is going to paint it 1994 vette light green teal at the upper belt line, and stock truck teal green below that after we fix minor scratches, hail damage and parking lot dings, and i get the cowl hood on. Prob seperate that with a thin silver stripe.

Cant decide on weather or not to paint mirror housings to match the vette teal, and do the door handles and tailgate handle and trim to match the body green, or leave all that black. Get 70 chevelle SS cowl induction emblems for the sides of the hood.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Thanks. I always planned on putting a smooth cheyenne front bumper and pulling the chrome and mouldings off the body, ditching the dumbo ears and putting 454SS mirrors on it. I think the cheapo plastic mouldngs spoiled a great styled body. Removing them would not have worked with the 2 tone paint which has a rough tape line under the mouldings which seperate it. As a matter of fact, if it came 2 tone i would have refused it.

You could have went up to 4.10 ratio, but i was looking for a good mix of lower end grunt, towing and highway fuel economy. No 4x4 for me. I'm not into offroading, it was extra weight, cost and complexity for something i wasnt into. I am into hot rods, muscle cars etc. Plus for me a locker in the back was more than plenty to keep me mobile on snow covered roads. Not into slushboxes, so a NV3500 5 speed O/D was what i went with lol.

I wanted to eventually lower it a bit, cowl hood, twin exhausts, make it handle, kinda like a muscle truck. I went silverado because of the nicer trimmed interior silverado had over the cheyenne, wasnt that much more money than the cheyenne. Went 8 foot bed because there was no price difference between that and a 6 footer. I planned on buying a home eventually when i bought my truck. Thinking ahead, i would refer to haul lumber and sheetrock with the tailgate shut.

Yes it was using oil from day 1. Pretty badly. 1.5 qts in 3k miles. Dealer pulled the heads, said the guides were over sized badly. Installed 16 new valve guides and i was on my way. Truck has about 150K original clutch, engine hasnt been apart since dealer warranty work.

The cool thing about special ordering back then was everything was alacarte' above the basic trim level you picked. It was like Burger King have it your way. They will build it your way. I had to fight back really hard about using the COPO option at the dealer to get it factory painted 1994 corvette light teal green.

That right there is friggin' awesome. I love stories like this. The alacarte thing is why I love older cars, if you didn't want a package deal you didn't have to take it although the late '80's saw that coming in. Like I don't think you could get these trucks with power windows but not power locks, I think those went hand in hand. I have the dealer sales literature for my '89 and it's several pages long as to what options you could select. I've never seen a Scottsdale or Cheyenne loaded out like mine, in fact I thought it was a Silverado until I sat inside it, saw the emblems & rubber floor. Even the quad headlight & dual note horn were options on the Scottsdale yet whomever bought my truck must've wanted rubber floors more than saving money on the Silverado trim level since it made those two things standard... Most every Cheyenne/SL I've seen has been a total stripper, short of powertrain or configuration options like split window & axle ratio.. But with what I've seen out there it is hard to find a '88 or '89 truck that's loaded or well equipped. Oh yeah, my truck was ordered with the 4 speaker option as well as a tape deck, whoooa right? LoL... But I think two-tone makes these trucks, especially once the paint has begun to fade. Red with the white stripe or what I've got just does it for me.

DId not know you could get a 4.10 in '94. In '89, the hottest ratio you could get was a 3.73 for a half ton, I believe it was only available with 4x4 too. Have you ever tried 4x4 in the snow? This truck is my first ever 4x4 vehicle and I'll say it is incredible. No joke. I too thought that all a Joe needed was posi or a locker coupled with good tires but nope, 4x4 blows that right out of the water. I hate to say it but not only does this truck go better in slippery stuff, it stops better too. It can't lock up both front wheels without locking a rear as well... And I think they're fairly simple too, especially compared to Ford, which with them you had to go with vacuum actuated hubs or the manual ones, which are the only I'd select. GM still gave you a manual transfer case but none of the vacuum crap Ford had and CV shafts instead of axle shafts with U-joints. If you ever got curious about 4x4, I'd recommend another one of these trucks equipped with it. I have only used it off road once and didn't even wheel hard enough to get schmuck all up in the wheel wells, just to get us to areas where a 2WD definitely wouldn't make it. But in the snow? Oh yeah, reverse doughnuts and snow caked everywhere from abuse haha.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By 1993 4 speaker radio was standard on the base model W/T 1500 on up. Saw one W/T 1500 w radio delete. This truck is been a life long love affair last 25 years. Prob will never get another. My older brothers were 4x4 nuts. I never got into it. Used to go muddin with em, but that was it. I always built muscle cars and hot rods. Helped my dad do a frame off restoration of a 79 dodge lil red express factory muscle truck years ago E58 360 with pop ups and a 68 340 cam, flowmaster 40s, 3.55s and a hot rodded TF727 trans. Its was pretty bad ass. Down here in Tx though roads are flat, everythings dry. When i use it to go to the boneyard for parts for projects, its all dry hard packed clay dirt. Nobody out here in their right mind even with a 4x4 goes out there after a rain, its the stickiest, slimest, clumpiest ****. If you walk around in that **** after awhile your 4" taller wearing herman munster boots from that **** sticking to the bottoms LOL.

Last new special ordered vehicle i bought was a 2007 mustang GT. Ordered vista blue GT deluxe, add leather seats, heated seats, upgraded dash with my color backlighting, and gage upgrade, 5 speed manual, 3.55s, traction lock diff, rear spoiler delete. That one has only 9,300 miles on it. I drive it nice days, and it hibernates under a cover in the garage.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now i'm building a 67 barracuda notchback coupe alacarte' was a slant 6 3 on the tree bench seat basic strippo car. Will be 408, 4 speed, 3.73s, with big brakes, big sway bars. Making it to appear stock down to 15" body colored steelies and dog dish caps. Going for poverty pack look, and 1967 pale yellow with black interior to slide right under the radar. No bright red with cop baiting black painted hood for me. Told the wifey i am going to get a tweed sport coat, and a fedora to wear to complete the look when i drive it. Speak softly and carry a big stick lol.

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yeah the early trucks had oddball options, I've never seen one without four speakers though. I have seen one with the knob style radio, should have taken it just to take it.
Yah guess in Texas you don't really have much use for 4x4, I haven't used it since last winter. Ain't never had one so thought I'd get my feet wet. I dig it though.

Nice Mustang, incredible about the mileage. Do you ever plan on selling it?

Also nice plans for the fish. I like those and their big ole rear windows. Any day is a good day to wear a fedora and that jacket. I've got one I sometimes wear when riding around in my Town Car.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. Its nuts that its over 10 years old now and has less than 10k on it. I am so busy between work, home, etc i dont get much time to take it out and enjoy it. Keeping the truck, mustang and cuda till i die, then my son gets em. Got a 69 barracuda notchback half stripped ex drag car that he and i are going to build up together for him. He puts in the sweat equity and some of his money, its his. So far he wants factory 69 red against my advice lol. Combo is going to be a Mild 318 4 bbl w 68 340 hi po exhaust manifolds, mopar A500 4 speed auto O/D out of a early 90s ram truck, 3.73s in a narrowed ford 8.8 disc brake rear. Car will be 4 wheel discs, black steelies w chrome lugs. W red paint and a 73 dart sport scoop its going to have that street fighter look. Ford and mopar have same bolt pattern and 8.8 was $200 from the wrecker with locker and 3.73s and discs already in it lol. Stock trak lock will be fine rebuilt withbengine combo. When he wants more out of it, will have to put a better locker like an eaton trutrack in it.

I dig the 4x4 stuff, just a lot of money to spend on it. I like speed and handling more than playing billy goat lol. Some guys down here lifting em and using military deuce and a half axles under em. Crazy ****. Not sure how they get em tagged and inspected. They grow em bigger in Texas lol and that was a smaller one out on cruise night !!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
You can make a 318 run damn good. They really are under appreciated engines.

LoL that truck there is a pavement pounder, for sure. Tires are balding, frame is clean and it needs an alignment haha. Bet it's a white knuckle ride over 35mph.. I like stock, I'd never lift a truck and don't think I'd buy one that was unless it was done by the factory. I'm just not the bogger or rock crawler type and just like drag racing, to do either means to burn up a lot of capital, and what you end up with a vehicle that can't do much other than those things...