Well f**k me running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well I just took them my old distributor at their request. They say when it stalls when warm and is hard to start that there is no spark or fuel. They think the pick-up coil may be defective on the new distributor. Cross your fingers!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well they are throwing up the white flag. They are transferring it to another shop in the area (actually was right next to my old house...weird), they say there is a guy there that is an electrical expert and a retired GM tech who was with GM from 1985 until recently. They say his specialty is finding electrical gremlins in wires, but he also knows a ton about these trucks too. Lets hope he can find it. The shop is only putting me out of $200 for 3 solid weeks of diagnostics. One of the guys that works there drives a truck just like mine, and they even took his truck apart and swapped some parts in and out, to no avail. Oh and they are making the transfer for me. That sh*t is a pain in the ass in Birmingham, so I said that was their job haha.

It is interesting that they discovered that when it does stall when warm and is hard to crank there is NO fuel AND NO spark. Tells me wiring gremlin if the ICM and ECM is good. Though I did leave some notes with them to give to the new shop tomorrow after some research on google and FSC today.

I can't find a definitive answer on if the oil pressure sending unit communicates with the ECM in a way that can cause it. I have read that on newer trucks if the sending unit senses less than 4 PSI it tells the ECM to cut fuel and spark (sound familiar?), but I can't verify that the ECM in my '92 is that smart.

Also, there is a fusible link in the transmission tunnel that is wired between the battery wiring harness on the firewall and the ECM that can be prone to corrosion and cause intermittent problems I have discovered. I left that note, but that is the type of thing this guy is supposedly a master at diagnosing. We shall see.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
i know that oil sensors will cut the engine on my 93 blazer. even on my old 83 it has an electronic cut off for 0psi oil pressure.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
i've never seen it malfunction. i've seen it work though ,it was installed as a precaution for vehicle rollover. 0 oil pressure = engine no need to run. on carb'd motors it's a big issue as fuel will run out of the carb.

Dingo378

Reaction score
Is your Alternator good? check charging voltage on battery when its running and that will tell you, My 98 was doing something simular and have had it happen to two other vehicles as well.