WATER PUMP time for me!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before you buy the tool take a chisel and hammer and smack the corner of the nut on the fan clutch. Chances are that it will come loose easy enough. Obviously you want to leave the belt on to hold the pulley while you smack it. I always use the green anti freeze due to problems from DEX-COOL-CRAP.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Parts stores also do free rental on the fan clutch tool if you're not into owning one.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Before you buy the tool take a chisel and hammer and smack the corner of the nut on the fan clutch. Chances are that it will come loose easy enough. Obviously you want to leave the belt on to hold the pulley while you smack it. I always use the green anti freeze due to problems from DEX-COOL-CRAP.

Agreed about the DexCool. Just did this repair myself and replaced all of the coolant with the standard green stuff. The 350 V8 is far from a modern engine and will do just fine with it. The hardest part of the repair was the fan clutch removal.

One thing I would add to the list is the 11 blade fan, it's a nice upgrade. Details here: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...B-Build-Thread&p=843869&viewfull=1#post843869

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I decided after reading about the Dex Cool that since that's what's been run in mine all its life that I'd stick to it. It's still good for now since I did my water pump last year and my engine is still plenty strong at 311+k with no problems all its life(knock on wood).

Seems like from my reading people who changed from one to the other sometimes encountered problems after the switch, but if no problems popped up or if the engine used green from the start it was good. But there were also plenty of people who had no problems with the Dex Cool.

Just my very unscientific observation. If I ever rebuild mine, I'll switch, but for now I'm going to dance with the one that brung me.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about a new fan clutch while your in there? If it already hasn't been done recently.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score