Washer pump issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cburnscrx

Reaction score
Okay, here's the story, it's a 96 GMC Suburban and listed below is where I'm at...

The front windshield wipers work, but the sprayer does not.

The rear wiper works, the rear sprayer works

I don't know anything about the system, is it dual pump? Could it be the wiper board, the fuse, etc. I'm just trying to figure it out

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
All my Suburbans have been barn door so I've never messed with a rear wiper setup on one...

Front washer pump is right there in the reservoir bottle under the hood. Just look at where the harness is plugged into it; that's the pump and it pulls right out of a rubber grommet. It's mounted low in the bottle so any fluid in there will spill out when you remove the pump.

Before pulling it out though have a helper activate the washers while you check for voltage at that harness. It's probably the pump, since you say the rear ones work. Otherwise I'd say the possibility it's simply cracked solder joints at the wiper circuit board would be your first suspect, since they can prevent the washer from running.

Richard

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before pulling it apart see if you can hear the pump when someone activates the switch. Could be as easy as clogged nozzles. If the pump runs take the hose off up at the cowl and see if it pumps water to there. If so you need to blow out the nozzels

cburnscrx

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Between your help and the YouTube videos I figured it out.

It is a two pump system and the front and rear pumps are indeed different parts, though they are mounted next to each other on the tank and look very similar. Of note the plugs are different. I watched some videos of the washer pump replacement on the truck version, and while there is no pump for the rear washers on a truck, you can see where it would go. One other thing of note, in my Suburban I had the storage box over the pump and it needs to be removed. There are YouTube videos that show how, but in essence it's one bolt in the wheel well and one on the side of the storage box. There's also two plastic clips inside the box towards the engine you'll have to release, but simple enough. Replace pump as if it were a truck.

I did see one video where the guy initially struggled to get the plug and the washer hose back to the original spot. Mine just twisted right back to place even though it didn't originally line up.

Hopefully this helps the next Suburban or Tahoe owners.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I find dish soap helps to install hoses and pumps especially on the plastic barbs. I slice them to remove if there is plenty of slack as I have broken several over the years.

I keep a spray bottle of soapy water hanging on my tool box for removing and installing the plastic clips that hold cars and trucks together these days.