Vortec 454 idling problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The readings you are getting are just showing you what the PCM is requesting, not the actual timing.

I haven't tried this myself (I have the HPTuners software so I didn't need to) but supposedly you can make Torque read Cam Offset, or whatever the name of the day for it is.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...ard-offset-adjustment-using-torque-app.88572/

I also read somewhere that "Car Gauge Pro" will already have the PID for Cam Offset

It's been a few years since i tried it, but car gauge pro did display it for me.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Still don't know how I'm supposed to turn the distributor given how close the cap/wires are to the plenum. Given the condition of most everything else on this truck, I think it's safe to assume the distributor is in equally terrible condition and needs to be looked at to see if I should replace it all together.

It could be bad. I've heard it reported here often. I have 290K on my original, Though.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This is the last information from the Torque Pro app. Obviously the engine wasn't running but it captures the last data minus rpm's etc.

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh.... that's timing. What you need is the cam offset.... "CMP retard". I forget not every scanner can read it. Don't mess with the distributor until you get something that can read the correct thing.

Until then maybe look at testing the IAC (idle air control). I have no experience with this sensor.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh.... that's timing. What you need is the cam offset.... "CMP retard". I forget not every scanner can read it. Don't mess with the distributor until you get something that can read the correct thing.

Until then maybe look at testing the IAC (idle air control). I have no experience with this sensor.

Well crap, I thought that was it. I set up the CMP PID in Torque and it didn't work. Gonna try Car Gauge Pro and see if it does it.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

My IAC is bad I'm sure. I took it off to clean it and it's got a lot of carbon buildup on the pintle and again, as with most other things I've dealt with so far, it looks like the original. The only thing I know for sure that isn't (that I haven't replaced so far) is the water pump and I only know that because the previous previous owner told me they'd replaced it. IAC will be getting changed probably tomorrow depending on how tired I am after work in the morning.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just over 1000rpm. I used a little flat blade screw driver to wedge between the throttle and throttle stop.

I haven’t needed to try it on the L29, but on the L35 in my ‘02 S10 a dime was real close to 1000rpm. I found the screw driver would vibrate out.