Vortec 350 Carnage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edahall

Reaction score
Vehicle: 1999 Chevy Tahoe, 350 Vortec, 180k miles

Today, I got busy and pulled out the engine. The pictures show what I found. The previous owner said that the engine blew apart when he went to start it one morning. I believe that the intake manifold must have leaked water into the front cylinder causing the engine to hydrolock. I also found that the radiator had straight water in it and was low. I bet the thing was using a lot of water before it flew apart.

My question is should I fix this engine or replace it? It appears that I'll need a new crankshaft, 2 rods, 2 pistons, oil pan, intake manifold gasket, head gasket. The only damage I saw on the engine block was at the very bottom of one of the bores. I think just cleaning it up with a file would be all it would take. It didn't appear to have any scuff marks in the bores.

You must be registered for see images attach

Oil pan full of metal

Damaged Crankshaft

Engine Block Damage

BURBAN GUY

Redneck Rolls
Reaction score
Your bore is pitted at the bottom and cylinder skirt is broke. Go get a long block and be done with it. You could repair this one and find out you have alot more damage than you thought.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that happened cause it was hydro-locked when he attempted to start it???? Damn.......

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Hydrolock wouldn't cause that. It prevents the engine from turning over all together. This looks like the results of lack of maintenance. Notice the sludge and cooked oil on the cam, crank, oil pan and block that can only be done over a period of time. I'd bet if you pulled the valve covers you would see syrup. Use NOTHING of this engine. It is junk. With broken pistons you are guaranteed bore distortion and deep scratching. It was just a 2 bolt block so now is your chance to snag a 4 bolt and upgrade. If you have the heads fluxed, pressure checked, thoroughly flushed and decked then you may be able to use them. With the condition of that oil I wouldn't though. Those heads probably have half an inch of sludge on them.