Vortec 350 Carnage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Don't bother with the 6.2. If you going to go through that much with an engine swap, drop in a LS motor. Probably the same amount of work, or less, with way better results, & a lot more potential for future mods.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
visually you look for cracks in the heads otherwise theres a lot of machine work that can be done to check for cracks, or any weaknesses in the metal. that poor truck ive never seen a piston blow apart and cause that much damage. we had a 454 in my friends suburban that snapped the crank and still rand but had no effect to the bores or anything other than the crank and journals.

If you think that's bad you should have seen a 5.0 I got in the shop last year. It was an 89 Mustang. Stock bottom end, GT40(Explorer) top end and a turbo on 10psi. The block split in three sections. The left bank, right bank and lower end were all completely separated. The only thing holding the banks from falling out of the engine compartment was the pistons and rods.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I try telling these Ford Fanbois that a 302 block physically can't handle more than 400hp reliably. They never listen. Because the shop I work at is primarily a Mustang place I have to listen to their nonsense all the time.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tempted;136453You do not have to find a "Vortec" block for your truck. You can use any Gen 1 small block. [/QUOTE said:
This is only true if you want to go backwards and use a stone-age flat tappet cam. The older blocks dont have the provision for the stock roller cam-which will hurt the gas mileage youre looking for.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I'm assuming he is going to buy a used long block and not change the cam. Flat tappet doesn't mean junk, though. If he is buying a new cam(OP you really never want to use a used cam and lifters) then a retro roller will work just fine.

Edahall

Reaction score
Here's some more pictures of engine carnage.

Intake Manifold

You must be registered for see images attach

What's with these heavy scratch marks on the intake manifold?

Engine Valley -- some sludge, metal shavings

See the distorted intake manifold gasket? Did this cause its demise?

Head #1

Head #2

Damage to top of piston from hitting valve

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah don't use those heads.

Edit- And yes, chances are the intake gasket caused this. I'd bet there was more water in the oil pan than oil.

Last edited: