Voltage meter jumps with blinker on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oleg

Reaction score
I have a 1999 tahoe and the voltage meter moves to the beat of the blinker both idling and moving. It started doing it a few months ago but i thought it was just because the alternator is going out. I put a different alternator in today and it still does it. Anyone else have this issue? Its not causing any problems just seems weird to me that it does it. I can blast the bass on it and the needle wont budge but as soon as the blinkers on it starts ticking.

chevyboy98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine does this to, subs pounding and the blinker on it moves soo much!

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 93 with the headlights on, blower on high, wipers going and blinker on the poor little needle jumped like a crackhead at a police convention. Its normal, mine always did it.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine do it as well, but when I switched to all led's that stopped not nearly as much current draw now, my dually had lot's of extra light's on the sides, when you turned on the turn signal on it, it would really fluctuate.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I haven't noticed mine doing it, but before the switch to all led, it would go down about ehhh half a volt when you turned the headlights on. I'll have to check this out now lol.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have it in mine, the gauge fluctuates about a volt with the blinker clicking on and off.... I believe its something with the gauge or cluster for me though, because I've checked the voltage at the battery, as well as at the fuse block and there is NO fluctuation at either point...you may want to get out the voltmeter and check, if you're getting fluctuations at the battery with the blinker on, then depending on the readings, you may have a weak battery/charging system...

Oleg

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. It just started doing it a few months ago so it hasn't been an issue since new. It could be a problem with the cluster because the oil pressure gauge sticks and the fuel level gauge gets kinda shaky. But i will definitely check the voltage at the battery and fuse block.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine does it to with the blinker or the hazards. When it's idling and I am out side the truck I can kinda hear the fuel pump changing it's tone along with the blinker... but I can have my stereo cranked and it doesn't fluctuate at all so it seems kinda weird to me. It doesn't worry me too much though as it's never seemed to actually cause any problem.