Vented vs. Non-Vented doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why the front doors on Frank have a vent but the ones on the Sub don't?

Is there an advantage for either one on Frank?

I was looking at making the doors as quiet as possible.

I might put some mid-bass drivers in later.

Shows some 3D printed ones.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm curious myself. I thought it had to do with shutting the door and either releasing pressure or so the vehicle can be vented. Either way I got the plain blanks on my burb and was considering the vents.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well. Many years ago these covers fell apart on the front doors of my Suburban and I ran with no covers for long enough that I forgot what type it originally had. I replaced them with some blanks from a salvage yard. They fit and everything works fine, but I've always questioned if they should be the vented type. My red '97 C1500 has the vented ones.

Anyone got pictures of a Suburban's door trim panel handy? Are there vents in the bottom?

I can double check my '97 Suburban tomorrow (It's cold outside and I'm lazy) but some quick Google searches seem to indicate that the '95+ Suburbans got the same front door panels as the rest of the '95+ trucks, which have little horizontal slot vents on the bottom outside corner of the panel. Picture from Google:

You must be registered for see images attach

So it seems like all the '95+ GMT400s had vents in the door panels. Not sure about '88-'94...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Suburban and Tahoe use the vent in the body it self. Trucks used the doors.

Can you be a little more specific? What do you mean by "the vent in the body itself?"

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can you be a little more specific? What do you mean by "the vent in the body itself?"
GMT 400, don't have a vent on the cab, or at least the trucks don't. GMT 800s do. It's on the cab, between the cab and bed, on the cab itself. It is to let the air pressure out of the cab, when you close the door. Why, the engineers put them on the 800s, and not the 400s, IDK.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
98 Money Pit