Valve adjustments?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lftd94z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had to replace both cylinder heads on my 350 Vortec. What are the vale adjustment specs and how is the proper way of doing it. I had to do it once on the passenger side. Which my grandfather did it while the engine was running. Unfortunately I can't do that on the driver side without a lot of headache. Is it okay to adjust them and put it all back together and then crank it?

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
yes you can do it with the engine off,,but does taking a certain,,,feel,,, to get it just right,,,
a good way to accomplish this is when the intake valve is starting to open on a cylinder,,adjust the exhaust valve same cylinder,,hope this helps,,

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Set engine to TDC. Make sure #1 piston is up and both #1 valves are closed.

Adjust exhaust valves on cylinders #1,3,4,8

Adjust intake valves #1,2,5,7

Spin motor 360 degrees

Adjust exhaust valves #2,5,6,7

Adjust intake valves #3,4,6,8

Hold pushrod between thumb and finger and try to lift up and down while tightening, stop when you can no longer move pushrod, tighten an additional 1/4 turn.

Done.

lftd94z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Set engine to TDC. Make sure #1 piston is up and both #1 valves are closed.

Adjust exhaust valves on cylinders #1,3,4,8

Adjust intake valves #1,2,5,7

Spin motor 360 degrees

Adjust exhaust valves #2,5,6,7

Adjust intake valves #3,4,6,8

Hold pushrod between thumb and finger and try to lift up and down while tightening, stop when you can no longer move pushrod, tighten an additional 1/4 turn.

Done.

I know doing this bogs down the motor until it corrects for the adjustments. Is it gonna hurt it to do that much then crank it?

lftd94z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay. Thank you. Just concerned. I've had enough broken parts been discovered in this project. Didn't wanna create more.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im sorry, I should have specified with the motor off.

The old way was with motor running, without oil deflectors it made a horrible mess. This way is much easier. Just take your time.