USB charging port instead of rear ash tray

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a crew cab K2500 and am sick of my kids needing run cords up front to charge their phones or tablet while we're driving. I never use my ash trays in the back doors. So I bought 2 USB charging ports, grabbed some plastic, and painted them to match the interior, There is already power at the power window switch so I powered them from there. The only thing is if you put the window lock on from the master switch it kills power to this also. This should work on Suburbans also.

Attachments

• 20150715_202431.jpg
    20150715_202431.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 139

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking of something very similar but adding headphone jacks as well that will come from the headrest tv's I plan on installing.

Dethtats78

Reaction score
Looks great! Where did you get the ports from? Might have to do this to mine as well! Thanks for the idea.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I wonder how much work it would be to put one in the ashtray so you could have a lid and keep it looking stock.

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder how much work it would be to put one in the ashtray so you could have a lid and keep it looking stock.

The hole you need to cut is 1 1/8" for the USB. And the opening in the ash tray is only 1". I'm sure you could cut the bottom of the ash tray out, and make a plate to epoxy in the underside of the ash tray to mount the USB