USB charging port instead of rear ash tray

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
I put cig lighters in my back ash trays for my girls kindles.....they can plug a usb charger into that port. Was real easy.
You must be registered for see images attach

Kemit

Reaction score
Looks nice. I just put some 12v outlets in the rear of the center console, third row ashtray and behind spare for an electric cooler. I have a 98 Suburban. I prefer the 12v sockets since I have the option to plug in what I need. The newer USB charging sockets like you used are higher amperage than the old stuff which was only .5A. The new USB bullets I am using are up to 2.4a per port.

Either way, your install looks professional. Where did you pull power from?

Last edited:

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I put this in the cubby hole on the drivers side in the third row of my 99 Suburban for the kids. Since that side is the lid for the tire tools it was easy to work on. I pulled power from the convenience center just ran the wire underneath the door sills, added an in line fuse and was good to go.

To the OP: Nicely done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mistaake

Reaction score

I put this in the cubby hole on the drivers side in the third row of my 99 Suburban for the kids. Since that side is the lid for the tire tools it was easy to work on. I pulled power from the convenience center just ran the wire underneath the door sills, added an in line fuse and was good to go.

To the OP: Nicely done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Great idea! Is it advisable to run a fuse on both positive and negative? Where did you pull the power from - I'm not sure what a "convenience center" is? Something like a 2A fuse should be sufficient, right? Because assuming the converter is 100% efficient (not realistic, probably 75-95% efficient), it can output 3A (1+2A) @ 5V = 15W = 1.25A @ 12V. Do you have some sort of switch to turn it off from up front because if the truck is sitting for a week or two it might drain the battery (most of those have a small LED or something)

And where did you get that thing with the cap?

Thanks...

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great idea! Is it advisable to run a fuse on both positive and negative? Where did you pull the power from - I'm not sure what a "convenience center" is? Something like a 2A fuse should be sufficient, right? Because assuming the converter is 100% efficient (not realistic, probably 75-95% efficient), it can output 3A (1+2A) @ 5V = 15W = 1.25A @ 12V. Do you have some sort of switch to turn it off from up front because if the truck is sitting for a week or two it might drain the battery (most of those have a small LED or something

And where did you get that thing with the cap?

Thanks...

I have only ever used a fuse on the positive side. The convenience center is underneath the dash by the parking brake.

I used a spade connector on the middle prong in the open connector marked dark green. I am using a 5w fuse currently. I have a toggle switch mounted under the dash to turn it off or on more to extend the outlet's life than to prevent power drain. I drive my suburban every day but if in a vehicle that sat for long periods I suppose it could be a concern. The kids are the only ones that sit in the back so I keep it turned off unless they're with me.

Here is the outlet I'm currently running, it came with caps for both sides because it's marine rated to be used on boats, outside, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271582...%3D711-117182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D871596503507

It's available from numerous places

Last edited:

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is the same one I bought and was going to mount it in the rear of my center console between the front seats. But my youngest one in the carseat sits in the center of the backseat and I was worried she would get down out of the carseat with something plugged in there and snap it off. So then I decided to put it where the ashtrays were and just run a USB on each door. But you could easily do a regular power socket instead of USB. It just seems all of our stuff can be charged through USB now, so I did it this way.

Power socket in ash tray and suburban install both look good. Nice installs!!!