upgrades on my first 96 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edgarking69

Reaction score
hey guys i just got a 96 k1500 silverado 4x4 auto trand with a 5.0 vortec engine. i just stitched over to trucks from driving hondas. what are some upgrades i can do to the truck to get better gas mileage ive already replaced, plugs, gas filter, trans oil and filter, and ran some marvel mystery oil trough the fuel system. the truck has a i think its a 6 inch fabtech lift. im thinking of adding an exhaust system since previous owner just cut off the muffler and left it like that. do u have any reccomendations on what i can do to make it a better dd to get better gas mileage

350VortecSSCT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok...first off, dont use Marvel Mystery...It will mysteriously ******** your motor...now 96 was the year it switched to OBDII you should know what OBDII is since ur a Honda Man. Now, Intake System: Volant K&N (Airraid is the same) and velocity stack choke adpater will open ur throttle body up for more air to create a larger vortec for forced air

Exhaust: Flowmaster, Magnaflow etc, always use 2.25 or 2.5 piping it will keep it raspy, american muscle, loud but smooth and always go with thier smallest muffler, it will help the movement of combustion. High Flow cats will also make a HUGE difference!

Next Superchip or a programmer to change the shiftpoints, rev limiter etc.

Pulleys are minimal but do help its better than nothing.

What color ws your fluid before? any metal? how was the old filter and how is it running now? if you change plugs, change wires and cap and rotor.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Do the exhaust, skip all the intake stuff. Make sure the rest of the ignition is in good shape. A tuned PCM may help. It's never going to be great on gas compared to a Honda, especially lifted.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok...first off, dont use Marvel Mystery...It will mysteriously ******** your motor...now 96 was the year it switched to OBDII you should know what OBDII is since ur a Honda Man. Now, Intake System: Volant K&N (Airraid is the same) and velocity stack choke adpater will open ur throttle body up for more air to create a larger vortec for forced air

Exhaust: Flowmaster, Magnaflow etc, always use 2.25 or 2.5 piping it will keep it raspy, american muscle, loud but smooth and always go with thier smallest muffler, it will help the movement of combustion. High Flow cats will also make a HUGE difference!

Next Superchip or a programmer to change the shiftpoints, rev limiter etc.

Pulleys are minimal but do help its better than nothing.

What color ws your fluid before? any metal? how was the old filter and how is it running now? if you change plugs, change wires and cap and rotor.

Sorry man but I have to disagree with alot of this.

#1 an intake system (volant/K&N/etc) is a huge waste of money. get a good filter and be done with it. you won't get much more than just some extra noise with an aftermarket intake. the stock intake ducting will flow more than the engine needs in a stock setup easily.

#2, a TB spacer, or velocity stack is a super waste of money on a port injected engine. on earlier carb and TBI engines they helped out a decent amount, but they do nothing for a 96+ port injected motor.

#3 I do agree with the 2 1/4-2 1/2 inch piping, and if the cats need to be replaced, I'd go with high flow ones. but a smaller muffler will only make things louder. and louder doesn't equal faster. I prefer my exhaust to be on the quiet side personally. just get something of good quality. stainless ones are nice because they last alot longer. you'll hear people complain about various muffler brands, and claim that brand x is better than brand y or whatever. but in the real world in a daily driver situation you won't notice much of a difference between them at all other than a change in sound.

#4 do not get a superchip, hypertech, or any other handheld programmer unless you get it for free or something. the cookie cutter hand held programmers are weak at best. if you want to get something to retune the computer (which you should, its an excellent mod), you need to look into a custom tune from a competent tuner out there. or even better, depending on how good you are with computers and the scientific workings of a fuel injected engine, you could invest in the mods and equipment to do the tuning yourself. it'll cost more to do that, but its by far the best way to do it. it just depends on how much you want to get involved in it.

#5 pulleys are a waste of money. don't even bother with them. sure they slow the turning of a few accessory drives which might free up a tiny bit of drag, but you also may get charging problems at idle from a slower spinning alternator, coolant flow problems at idle from a slower spinning water pump, etc....and the gain you MIGHT get is so minimal its just not worth it IMO.

the main things you'll want to keep up on is your maintenance. change your cap/rotor, plug wires, plugs, fuel filter, oil and filter, older belts and hoses, fluid levels, O2 sensors, etc. and keep it running correctly.

if you're worried about fuel mileage, the biggest factor will be your driving style. try to keep it conservative. but like 454cid mentioned, its a lifted full sized truck, don't expect it to get the mileage of a civic. something around 15mpg give or take a little is a reasonable average.

you mentioned it was lifted...what size tires do you run on it? what size rims? and what gearing does it have?

Matt97Z

Reaction score
I gotta agree with aloicious, intakes and TB spacers are a waste. (I learned the hard way.) And if your looking to tune forget the can crap. Go with a custom tune (like Blackbear, Wester's, etc.) or even better a dyno tune. I have a Blackbear 93 tune and its like driving a new truck. Justin can do stuff that can cant think of. Most of the time the custom tunes are cheaper than the can crap too.

I have heard to use 2.25 or 2.50" exhaust if running dual or 3" for single but I dont want to say yay or nay cause my exhaust is crappy 2" that the previous owner had some loser hack together.

My truck is lifted with 35's and regeared to 4.56's and I get about 10.5mpg in town and slightly better hwy. Please man, dont look for 18-20 mpg from your lifted 305.

Hope this helps man. Good luck,

Matt

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score

#1 an intake system (volant/K&N/etc) is a huge waste of money. get a good filter and be done with it. you won't get much more than just some extra noise with an aftermarket intake. the stock intake ducting will flow more than the engine needs in a stock setup easily.

#2, a TB spacer, or velocity stack is a super waste of money on a port injected engine. on earlier carb and TBI engines they helped out a decent amount, but they do nothing for a 96+ port injected motor.

#3 I do agree with the 2 1/4-2 1/2 inch piping, and if the cats need to be replaced, I'd go with high flow ones. but a smaller muffler will only make things louder. and louder doesn't equal faster. I prefer my exhaust to be on the quiet side personally. just get something of good quality. stainless ones are nice because they last alot longer. you'll hear people complain about various muffler brands, and claim that brand x is better than brand y or whatever. but in the real world in a daily driver situation you won't notice much of a difference between them at all other than a change in sound.

#4 do not get a superchip, hypertech, or any other handheld programmer unless you get it for free or something. the cookie cutter hand held programmers are weak at best. if you want to get something to retune the computer (which you should, its an excellent mod), you need to look into a custom tune from a competent tuner out there. or even better, depending on how good you are with computers and the scientific workings of a fuel injected engine, you could invest in the mods and equipment to do the tuning yourself. it'll cost more to do that, but its by far the best way to do it. it just depends on how much you want to get involved in it.

#5 pulleys are a waste of money. don't even bother with them. sure they slow the turning of a few accessory drives which might free up a tiny bit of drag, but you also may get charging problems at idle from a slower spinning alternator, coolant flow problems at idle from a slower spinning water pump, etc....and the gain you MIGHT get is so minimal its just not worth it IMO.

the main things you'll want to keep up on is your maintenance. change your cap/rotor, plug wires, plugs, fuel filter, oil and filter, older belts and hoses, fluid levels, O2 sensors, etc. and keep it running correctly.

if you're worried about fuel mileage, the biggest factor will be your driving style. try to keep it conservative. but like 454cid mentioned, its a lifted full sized truck, don't expect it to get the mileage of a civic. something around 15mpg give or take a little is a reasonable average.

you mentioned it was lifted...what size tires do you run on it? what size rims? and what gearing does it have?

I agree 100% with all of this.

CAI's are worthless on a vortec, the pulleys are a waste of time, those lousy programmers do nothing for you, if you want to actually FEEL a difference in performance (OP) get your PCM tuned, ask Sully all about it, I'm sure he would be willing to tell you how much of a difference it makes.

edgarking69

Reaction score
its dark green. idk what size tires ill have to chek next time. and i wanna get it tuned just dont know whats a good one to go with can u guys point me to some good people that can get me a tuned pcm i really dont k now how to mess with tuning them.

also it runs kinda slugish wich is y i used the can treatment. every time i hit the trothle it kinda stumbles a bit and then when i take it on the highway it feels really sluggish and it kinda acts like it missfiring or back firing it kinda feels like it bumps and wants to shut off but so far ive only changed out the spark plugs with autolite double platniums. i wanna change out my plugs, cap and rotor with some good performance ones any suggestions?

my fluid was redish almost brownin a bit dnt know how old the oil and filter were.

i dont really know gear ratios id say stock i dnt really know much about trucks this is my first truck and my first v8 chevy

as for mileage i was hoping for 18 but guess i better give up on those dreams lol

Last edited:

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
For gears, open glove box, look at the RPO codes, GU6 is 3:42s, GT4 is 3:73s, you most likely have one of those 2.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I also agree 110%!! K&N CAI intakes are just an overpriced piece of plastic that gives people the ploceabo effect and really nothing else IMO. Also like Alocicious said, if you're running duals go with 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" tubing. If your going to run single, go with either 2 3/4" or 3" cat back. As for your truck feeling slugish, I'd start by a full tune up (cap, rotor, plugs, wires) and kind of go from there. A tune up is good to do whether it needs it or not if you don't know the history of the truck. A coil or dizzy could also be contributing to your problem. As far as what cap, rotor, plugs etc to use, I would recommend going with AC Delco. ESPECIALLY spark plugs!! If you want to find out what gears the truck has, you can go inside your glove box and look up your RPO codes to see what gearing you have. I'm guessing you have 3.42's but you could have 3.73's also!