Turn Signal Wiring issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brice Edwards

Reaction score
1998 K3500 I've had a problem with my turn signals the past year and I'd like to finally solve it. On the cluster when the parking lights or headlights are on the left blinker stays lit on the dash
It continuously will blow the signal fuse and the signals do not work at all or the hazards.
It has LED lights up front and stocks in the back. It also has brand new multifunction switch and flasher relay already. I dont know where to start at this point but any help would be appreciated.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1998 K3500 I've had a problem with my turn signals the past year and I'd like to finally solve it. On the cluster when the parking lights or headlights are on the left blinker stays lit on the dash
It continuously will blow the signal fuse and the signals do not work at all or the hazards.
It has LED lights up front and stocks in the back. It also has brand new multifunction switch and flasher relay already. I dont know where to start at this point but any help would be appreciated.
I'd start with the aftermarket lights. There's a short in the circuit somewhere, and anything that isn't OEM is where I generally start looking for electrical problems in a circuit. I'd also start on the side that has the dash signal constantly lit. Pull the fuse and check with a multimeter how many amps are being pulled through the circuit. If it's fairly low (around 20A or less) you can leave it connected while you try to find the short, any more than that and you run the risk of too much heat at the point of the short, and it may cause damage to leave it connected. Either way, pull each of the bulbs connected to that side, starting with the aftermarket ones, checking for a drop in amps before moving to the next one. The component that drops amps through the circuit to 0 should be the problem.

There's also the possibility that the short is not coming from the components, but from the wiring itself. As you go, visually inspect the wiring, harnesses, and receptacles to look for melted plastic, exposed wires, etc. If you have pulled every bulb, and still don't find the short, check for resistance between the ground side and power side of each component. Anything other than unreadably high resistance needs to be fixed. Once you've found the area of the circuit that has low resistance, you've found the short and should be able to repair the problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I'd say one of your LED's are plugged into the socket the wrong way. Keep flipping em around and see if anything changes.
I'm guessing the exterior lights themselves don't light up correctly either?
This is 9/10 the problem when this issue occurs
Also check the common ground in the light harness, passenger side, they get pretty gunky.

Brice Edwards

Reaction score
All other lights work and light up fine. Just the Driver side blinker stays lit and always blows the fuse. I believe the last time I checked it out the light on the dash stayed on even with the lights unplugged