Truck shifting in an out of gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nw2000

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a 1995 c1500 and the issue I am having is when I’m cruising at light throttle the transmission constantly downshifts and up shifts. I replaced the tps sensor a few years ago but could it possible be that or is the transmission acting up? Thank you for any help.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a 1995 c1500 and the issue I am having is when I’m cruising at light throttle the transmission constantly downshifts and up shifts. I replaced the tps sensor a few years ago but could it possible be that or is the transmission acting up? Thank you for any help.
Probably not the issue.
But, torque converter lockup actually runs through your brake light switch on a 4l60e.
Make sure your brake ligjts are working correctly.
I had a short in mine that would kick it out when they got wet or if I stood on the brake pedal.
I only figurred it out because I put new taillight bulbs in and backed the truck up so the ass end was pointing towards the glass windows at Oreillys and when I hit the brakes the taillights flickerred and went out but came back on when I let off a little bit.
It was bad grounds at the tail and a bad brake switch

Nw2000

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably not the issue.
But, torque converter lockup actually runs through your brake light switch on a 4l60e.
I had a short in mine that would kick it out when they got wet or if I stood on the brake pedal.
I only figurred it out because I put new taillight bulbs in and backed the truck up so the ass end was pointing towards the glass windows at Oreillys and when I hit the brakes the taillights flickerred and went out but came back on when I let off a little bit.
I’ll have to check that out thanks. I would’ve attached a video if I could.

Nw2000

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably not the issue.
Confirmed brake lights do in fact work. This only started happening when I started driving it again after putting it up for the winter. Perhaps it sitting there for a few months could have caused it?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1995 c1500 and the issue I am having is when I’m cruising at light throttle the transmission constantly downshifts and up shifts. I replaced the tps sensor a few years ago but could it possible be that or is the transmission acting up?
Connect a scan tool, find out what the computer is trying to tell you.

Not only do you need to verify engine performance, I'd want to interrogate the transmission, too. Fluid temperature, shift adaptation, and anything else that seemed relevant.

Confirm: this is a SHIFTING problem, not a TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH problem?

Never hurts to pump out and exchange for new fresh fluid.
...and filter, and clean the inside of the pan.