Truck has lost pep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
hope someone can give me some ideas here. i changed intake gaskets on my truck, 97 5.7 vortec. i marked the distribitor and rotor before i removed it. changed gaskets and installed the distribitor the same way as i took it out and timed it. its been like this for about 4 months now and been checking everything and changed everything but seems like it has lost pep. especially 1st and 2nd. changed fuel pump and filter, got good pressure in my exhaust so i thought it maybe the cats....but i don't know how good exhaust pressure should be. and ideas??

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
The timing on Vortec engines has to be set through a computer.

If that is what you did, then I would suggest checking for vacuum leaks since you mentioned it happened after you replaced the gaskets.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hope someone can give me some ideas here. i changed intake gaskets on my truck, 97 5.7 vortec. i marked the distribitor and rotor before i removed it. changed gaskets and installed the distribitor the same way as i took it out and timed it. its been like this for about 4 months now and been checking everything and changed everything but seems like it has lost pep. especially 1st and 2nd. changed fuel pump and filter, got good pressure in my exhaust so i thought it maybe the cats....but i don't know how good exhaust pressure should be. and ideas??

How did you time it? Any SES light?

Sent from somewhere in MN

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
no didnt use i computer, just put it back to what the sticker on the fan shroud told me to set it at, could that be my problem? one this is that it does not seem to be misfiring or popping. or does that matter?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
It could seem to run fine but still stumble and lose power. But I would really check for vacuum leaks also.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that, it could SEEM to run fine. Ie, not miss.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
It could seem to run fine but still stumble and lose power. But I would really check for vacuum leaks also.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that, it could SEEM to run fine. Ie, not miss.

do you know a ball park on how much that may cost by chance?

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
wow thats better than what i had in mind :) i may get better gas mileage when i get that done...least i hope anyway