Truck died and cranking sounds like this..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Janssen

Reaction score
My 97 5.7 sounded like that after the head gasket went. Tried to start but not enough unfowled plugs to fire. Lose any coolant lately?

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year is it? Any engine codes?
That's really weird. See how it feels turning it over by hand then do a compression test.
Maybe a stripped gear on your distributor shaft? Is this a TBI or Vortec?

Edit: must be a Vortec.
Yeah it's a 99 Vortec. I had a new cap and rotor put on it about two months ago. Not sure how it would've lost it's timing though.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id pull distributor the vortecs are known to eat up the gear

Ive pulled so many that where razor sharp so I could see it get to point of stripping

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 97 5.7 sounded like that after the head gasket went. Tried to start but not enough unfowled plugs to fire. Lose any coolant lately?
Interesting... I actually did lose all my coolant about two months back.

i guess i should start by taking the plugs out and inspecting.

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I disconnected the coil from the distributor, cranked it and there was good spark coming from the coil.

Tomorrow I’ll remove the distributor cap and inspect it and the rotor. If all’s ok there then I’ll pull the entire distributor and see how that gear looks.

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took the entire distributor out and it looked ok except that the gasket was broken. The Accel cap still looked good but the the AC Delco rotor looked pretty bad for only being 2-3 months old so i'll have to get a new one.

The plugs also looked pretty bad but those were old so I'm replacing them with new Ac delco iridiums and new AC delco wires.

I feel like just replacing the entire distributor with a billet aluminum one. Does anyone have any experience with 1A Auto distributors? Their billet ones are only $81 brand new with lifetime warrantly and it includes the cap and rotor.

ThaEdge

Reaction score
My truck recently died and this is what it sounds like when I crank it. It's doesn't crank steadily until I let go of the key but instead it cranks and pauses and cranks and pauses some more until I release the key.

My starter is fairly new and my battery is brand new. Can this be a bad ground? :banghead:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Mine just did the same Saturday. Have you pulled the whole distributor? The gear was worn out on mine. Unfortunately mine also chewd up the cam gear... But it gives me a good excuse to put a bigger cam in it. So there's that. Good news for you is, the cam may be fine and you just need a distributor. I think they're about $100. I would bet money that's the distributor gear. Did it lose oil pressure at the same time?