Transmission Reccomendations for 383 500hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
It's a standalone deal surprisingly! Although maybe it isn't for '95 and up. But I played with the donor vehicle at the treasure yard and found the harness and pig tail going up to the switch on the dash goes from the convenience center up over the steering column and into the area just under the HVAC controls. For the '88 to '94 crowd the convenience center already has provisions for rear defrost whether you had it or not, so it plugs right in. Then you just have to run the purple wire through the plastic conduit along floor, up under the trim and through the cab right to about where it plugs into the window itself. The ground side simply used a self tapper to complete the circuit through the cab. I'm almost done wiring it up, can't wait to see if it actually works. I've never seen another regular cab truck with defrost but it'll be great to have when the weather is like this- no more misty window for me.

HAHA thats awesome man. I didnt know these trucks even had the option of defrost for the rear glass. Also i like that you call the salvage yard the "treasure" yard. Im 100 percent certain im going to call it that now :Big Laugh:
Off topic but im going to be painting my truck here soon and i was debating on removing the glass (at least the rear) before doing it. You may have convinced me to hunt for that glass myself. Winter is approaching. Please write back and let us know if it wired up and worked for ya.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
They sure do! Even as far back as '88; it's listed amidst the list of available options and GM even included a picture of one. Although I've never seen it on a pre '91 truck or on a regular cab. The donor truck was a '92 or '93 with a 454, extender cab.

I highly recommend you just have both done professionally. Unlike OBS Fords which you can pop the rear window out with a shoe string, GM glued the damn thing in. I tried to nab the donor trucks window myself, it was tinted as well and would have been perfect in addition to saving me money. However, the "piano" wire I made from a hood release cable only netted me maybe five inches in thirty or forty minutes. Both my wife and I were exhausted from all the effort required to get there too. Not to mention starting the hole to poke the cable through caused me to dent & puncture the paint in the cab right down to substrate. Do I wish I had an original GM window? Yes, but this was money well spent and time well saved for my lazy ass.

Defrost works! I can't feel the grid getting warm but I've checked and I've got battery voltage at the positive side of the grid and like 1.xx V on the ground side. Guessing you won't feel it getting warm unless it's really cold out. I painted the roof while the front windshield was out (still is, just wrapped up painting last night) as bare metal was exposed for years and the roof was rusting. The area where the windshield sits was also crusty and required repair before glass dude would install new glass. So I'll be putting the thing back together tomorrow and having the new windshield put in this weekend hopefully.

"Treasure yard" isn't mine, so I can't take credit for it. I think I borrowed it from Shurkey.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Local hard has a conversion package truck with power sliding rear window. Don’t have a GMT400 truck but wanna get it for when I do lol. I had a 97 that had the rear defrost, didn’t know they were before then