Transmission not wanting to shift into overdrive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fatcat

Reaction score

I have a 89 silverado, when the truck is cold transmission seems to shift fine. When it warms up the transmission does not want to shift to overdrive. I have checked fluid level, and it's fine. I been told the bands could be worn out? And when it does shift into overdrive (when hot) it wants to switch from third to overdrive and back to overdrive? Any advice would be appericated!

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
It is the bands and needs a rebuild. There really isn't much else to do or say. Don't waste the money on having it flushed, most of the time they start acting up right after it is flushed.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
im thinking the the TCC selinoid my be bad. i had a 95 4x4 that did the similar thing to what yours is doing. the TCC pushes on the band that put the trans into overdrive i believe. if im mistaken someone please correct me

gunz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is the bands and needs a rebuild. There really isn't much else to do or say. Don't waste the money on having it flushed, most of the time they start acting up right after it is flushed.

Little quick to jump to that conclusion my friend.

need more info. Are other gears shifting in the right RPM range? No other abnormalities other than overdrive?

fatcat

Reaction score
Little quick to jump to that conclusion my friend.

need more info. Are other gears shifting in the right RPM range? No other abnormalities other than overdrive?[/QUOT
I have no problems with any other gears. When it gets warm, it seems like the fluid gets thinned out that when problems start. I just drove it about 55 miles, I was in 3rd about 90% once and while very rarely it would go into overdrive. I have been talking to a buddy ofmine and he is saying that the filter could be stopped up. So this weekend I'm going to change fluid and filter.When the truck is cold it shifts like a new one. I have tried to shift it manually from 3rd to 4th, and still nothing.

gunz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The filter wont change anything. If ti were plugged, the trans would not work in any gear. Stop listening to your friend. Do you have any check engine lights?