Transmission help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCNuneZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys so I have ran into a problem with a transmission swap I was in the process of. So I have this 93 chevy that my uncle wrecked that only had 20,000 miles on the trans so me having a 94 I pulled the transmission in the believe that they are both the 4l60e and as I was telling friend and family about what I was getting ready to do they said no I can't do it they are 2 different transmission and maybe call a GM dealer before trying to install it only to find out it doesn't work. So I told my story about how I have to sell this transmission that is the same transmission but supposedly has different shift points making it that I can't use it, that's when my facebook friends chimed in and said don't sell it those people don't know what they are talking about it will work with your truck. So I'm getting mixed signals. Can anyone on here agree or disagree that I can take a 4l60e out of a 1993 chevy k1500 and put it into my 1994 gmc k1500?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can wait for someone with more experience to answer but I am 99.9% sure that a 1993 and 1994 4L60E are the same and you'll have no problems, those two years should be directly compatible and as you say both are from 4x4's. If it was a 1995 or later that would be no good.

Be sure to use the converter from the good transmission, and thoroughly flush out your cooling lines and transmission cooler in the radiator. You don't want any possibly contaminated fluid from the bad trans getting in and ruining your good one.

Richard

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are mostly correct. 93 and 94 will work together, 95 is a one year transmission, and then 96+ will be a different style. You should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
You are mostly correct. 93 and 94 will work together, 95 is a one year transmission, and then 96+ will be a different style. You should be fine

but 96 and 97 are different than 98

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

I said 93 and 94 would be compatible; 95-up would not be. So what part of what I said is "mostly" correct :gr_grin: we said the same things just different words.

Richard

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't mean to say mostly correct. I thought you said 95 and up were the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk