Transmission Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
In 3 weeks I'm taking my 97 on a 100 mile trip pulling my new to me pop up. Will probably be close to 3000lbs with all our gear. I know that's not much but I don't want to have to rebuild this transmission again. Looking to get a cooler and a temp gauge, along with a fluid and filter change. Anybody have any experience with this trans cooler, or know of a better one in this price range? Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

And if anyone is interested, the "new" pop up. It's a 91 Palomino TXL in great condition.

You must be registered for see images attach

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Can a factory one and the factory transmission lines be bought? Or are you saying a factory cooler and use rubber hose like in this kit?

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
I tow a 6000 lb 5th wheel with my 97. I have the factory cooler which works fine. I am sure if you add that cooler, you will be fine. I added that Autometer gauge you show to my truck also. Ir rarely gets above 200 degrees when towing.
A bit of advice with your 97....it doesnt have a tow mode button, tow in 3rd gear always.....The 4L60e trans overdrive is not real strong

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I tow a 6000 lb 5th wheel with my 97. I have the factory cooler which works fine. I am sure if you add that cooler, you will be fine. I added that Autometer gauge you show to my truck also. Ir rarely gets above 200 degrees when towing.
A bit of advice with your 97....it doesnt have a tow mode button, tow in 3rd gear always.....The 4L60e trans overdrive is not real strong

Thanks. Should be a fun gas guzzling drive with the 4.11 gears my truck runs 3100rpms at 70mph when in 3rd.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Are any of you guys running a thermostat? I ASSume it will manage to adversely affect cooling if only slightly. I get by with my current cooler as long as I'm moving, but a larger cooler has been on the list for a while now with a stat for winter driving. Truck shifts pretty hard until it gets up to temp which is usually only 100 in the winter. I'd like that fluid to be 150-180 so it's nice and thin, between that and the rear end I can feel a noticeably difference in how the truck pulls.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Are any of you guys running a thermostat? I ASSume it will manage to adversely affect cooling if only slightly. I get by with my current cooler as long as I'm moving, but a larger cooler has been on the list for a while now with a stat for winter driving. Truck shifts pretty hard until it gets up to temp which is usually only 100 in the winter. I'd like that fluid to be 150-180 so it's nice and thin, between that and the rear end I can feel a noticeably difference in how the truck pulls.
Everyone should run a thermostat.

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a B&M 70268 Trans Cooler in mine. Its a stacked plate cooler, and a fair bit bigger than stock. Bolts up in the factory position with some minor triming of the upper factory cooler brackets. Also, with a pair of adapters, your factory lines also line up and work perfectly.

I paired the cooler with an Auto Meter Electric Trans Temp gauge.

4L60E, 3:73 gears and 35's pulling my ~3000lb tent trailer in 3rd gear, hottest the trans has got was 190' F. Ambient temp was 90'F

No load in stop and go traffic sits around 170"F.

Highly recommend the B&M 70268 for the easy and factory appearing install, and the excellent performance.