Transfer case cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody ever monitored their transfer case fluid temps?
I'm lookin to try and make a cooler for a 263HD and haven't seen anybody mention anything like it on the internetz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I dont think there's any reason to since theres no heat generating components like engines and automatic transmissions. Same reason manual transmissions and rear ends dont have coolers

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After more lookin around I found a few guys writeups on temp sensors installed in there Xcases.
Reported 150-200* normal daily driving and some in the 250* range towing and off road. Even had a few say they saw 300* in 4lo offlroading.

I kinda wouldn't mind trying something just to put a spin on filter inline and see what happens.

On the HMMVE I did a 4L80E swap in, it had cooler line from the transmission feed the transfer case then to the cooler then return to the transmission. But that being a full time 4wd unit and being used in extreme environments, I can see why they did that.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm surprised the t cases get that hot. I was also surprised at how nasty my rear end got putting 70k on the oil inside. Then I checked my owner's manual. . . In 2wd they're hitting 250 towing? That's pretty crazy to me, it's just passing through. I can see if it's in 4wd or low range generating more heat for sure, which it clearly does. What's your concern?

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I never thought bout the temp in the tcase till I was taking to my buddy that rebuilds them and told him bout the hmmve cooler loop from transmission.
We agreed if you could keep the fluid cooled and clean the things should last forever

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
150-200 is perfect. 250+ on the other hand is not. The Humvees are full time 4wd too, so they damn sure make some heat. And pushing 20,000# with the **** they put into them.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gettin a new rear housing and some other small parts and I'll figure out if I'm gonna do the cooler or not