Trans swap options after 411 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motorsports-X

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trans just went out in my 96 k1500. I'm not sure that its even got the right year model trans in it. Can i verify with case stamping? Its a 2 peice bell housing.

Now that the truck is 411 swapped, can i use other year model 4l60s? Or 4l80s. I did use the pinout for 96 but I'm assuming something can be changed? Ive always thought something was up with the trans. It would buck occasionally. Never figured out why. Id like to get the truck to a "known values" status becuase i bought it from a salavage/rebuilder and who knows what they used

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trans just went out in my 96 k1500. I'm not sure that its even got the right year model trans in it. Can i verify with case stamping? Its a 2 peice bell housing.

Now that the truck is 411 swapped, can i use other year model 4l60s? Or 4l80s. I did use the pinout for 96 but I'm assuming something can be changed? Ive always thought something was up with the trans. It would buck occasionally. Never figured out why. Id like to get the truck to a "known values" status becuase i bought it from a salavage/rebuilder and who knows what they used
If it's two-piece, its a 98-2000 gen 1 sbc unit, which is fine for your 96 (in fact, its preferrsble as it has bonded steel/rubber pistons in the forward drum which 82-96 did not.

You can install any 1996-2000 model year unit; any two piece case must be set up for a gen1 sbc. 4L60Es that went in behind LS/G3 small blocks will not work.

Why not rebuild the one that's in there now?

Used 4L60Es are a ceap shoot at best....

Motorsports-X

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's two-piece, its a 98-2000 gen 1 sbc unit, which is fine for your 96 (in fact, its preferrsble as it has bonded steel/rubber pistons in the forward drum which 82-96 did not.

You can install any 1996-2000 model year unit; any two piece case must be set up for a gen1 sbc. 4L60Es that went in behind LS/G3 small blocks will not work.

Why not rebuild the one that's in there now?

Used 4L60Es are a ceap shoot at best....
knowing that, I will rebuild whats in it. I just wasnt sure if i was limited specifically on which year I had, or version I needed to buy.

So when I did the 411 swap, was I supposed to segment swap the trans section or anything? I changed whatever wiring the pinout said, but I only put the van tune is as is, and then tweaked some fuel and timing maps (built engine)

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Others can weigh in on the tuning side as I'm largely ignorant when it comes to what PCM will work with what engine/trans combo when it comes to years/interchange...That said, the transmission control logic didn't change too much (and not materially) from 1996 to E2006...There were subtle tweaks to the TCC apply hydraulic circuitry inside the trans, valve train was re-designed slightly but nothing that should require reprogramming or segment swaps. Late 2005 (a few models/sub models), GM began installing 4L60Es with a turbine speed sensor...That proliferated across all makes/models/sub-models such that by late 2007, all of them had it.

So you should be fine with what PCM you have.

Motorsports-X

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hers can weigh in on the tuning side as I'm largely ignorant when it comes to what PCM will work with what engine/trans combo when it comes to years/interchange...That said, the transmission control logic didn't change too much (and not materially) from 1996 to E2006...There were subtle tweaks to the TCC apply hydraulic circuitry inside the trans, valve train was re-designed slightly but nothing that should require reprogramming or segment swaps. Late 2005 (a few models/sub models), GM began installing 4L60Es with a turbine speed sensor...That proliferated across all makes/models/sub-models such that by late 2007, all of them had it.
thanks for the info

Motorsports-X

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Others can weigh in on the tuning side as I'm largely ignorant when it comes to what PCM will work with what engine/trans combo when it comes to years/interchange...That said, the transmission control logic didn't change too much (and not materially) from 1996 to E2006...There were subtle tweaks to the TCC apply hydraulic circuitry inside the trans, valve train was re-designed slightly but nothing that should require reprogramming or segment swaps. Late 2005 (a few models/sub models), GM began installing 4L60Es with a turbine speed sensor...That proliferated across all makes/models/sub-models such that by late 2007, all of them had it.

So you should be fine with what PCM you have.
Nick Sorry one more question. I just want to make sure I understand this.

I know you said I could use 96-2000, but Im not having much luck with that specific year model . If I find something like a 2003 4l60e, Can I put the correct SBC bell housing on with whichever torque converter fits both the 350 flex plate and the spline count on the trans? (i beleive 30 spline in the case of a 03)

Then when the engine gives up and I change to an LS, can I just change the bell housing and flexplate or torque converter again? I think I'm getting confused also by the 298mm vs 300mm issue. that's not a very big difference, dimensionally, so I'm wondering why I cant use either or.

edit... found a picture of the 298 vs 300mm shafts. so that makes more since. So of i have a 300mm 4L60e, is it possible to get a SBC bell housing and TC that will work or am i stuff to having to find a 298?

maybe i should just LS swap it now. ...lol

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick Sorry one more question. I just want to make sure I understand this.

I know you said I could use 96-2000, but Im not having much luck with that specific year model . If I find something like a 2003 4l60e, Can I put the correct SBC bell housing on with whichever torque converter fits both the 350 flex plate and the spline count on the trans? (i beleive 30 spline in the case of a 03)

Then when the engine gives up and I change to an LS, can I just change the bell housing and flexplate or torque converter again? I think I'm getting confused also by the 298mm vs 300mm issue. that's not a very big difference, dimensionally, so I'm wondering why I cant use either or.
The pump and input shaft are completely different designs and totally not interchangeable between different engine families.

You need to either stay with 96-2000 4L60Es (two piece cases must have the 298mm input shaft and Gen 1 bell housing) or purchase an adaptation kit that will allow you to run a 4L60E designed to mate to a Gen 3 small block...That said, most of those kits are out of stock everywhere and not worth the money as by the time you've outlaid all the cash, you will have spent close to what it would cost to rebuild your existing transmission, which is what I would strongly suggest you do in the first place.

This way you're not back to square one in 6 months or so with a used unit that's already on it's way out...