Trans slip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Well I didnt get the delco.. carquest was the only place that had the right one, seems to be decent. price was right anyways. They did not have a magnet for my pan either, I do have the etched spot, just no magnet. I put a bottle of Lucas in and put about 150kms on it, only once did it over rev between 2nd and 3rd, but it was between stoplights at hard throttle so it kinda up and downshifted all in one.

I think that what likley happened is about a year ago i dropped the pan and changed some of the fluid cause it was getting dark, I did not do the filter, and I did not flush the whole system and I may have overfilled it as well. A plugged up filter in an overfull trans with wore/burnt fluid is sure to cause some problems.

Fingers crossed that it continues to hold. I will probably do a yearly fluid change on it from now on (it really only gets drove on weekends and probably collects moisture)
I could not find any signs of contamination, I am leaking coolant externally only

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this post before.... If you have the pan off again it will help to turn in the screw on the pressure control solenoid 1/4 of a turn. That will boost the pressure around 10-20 lbs. That will help a lot of sluggish and slipping between gears.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this post before.... If you have the pan off again it will help to turn in the screw on the pressure control solenoid 1/4 of a turn. That will boost the pressure around 10-20 lbs. That will help a lot of sluggish and slipping between gears.

Interesting, is there any possible harm doing this to an old transmission that seems to work fine? And how do I identify this pressure solenoid?

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score

Great info as usual, Thanks!
It seems to be holding good and strong now, Cant seem to make it slip (even launching in 4lo) do you have a pic or discription of where the pcs is?
Also do you know what holds that magnet to the bottom of the pan? I'm thinking that my best bet would be a similar magnet and bolt through the pan, seal with rtv or gasket. good idea or very bad?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Very bad idea lol! The magnet just sticks to the pan like a magnet sticks to a fridge. Don't drill a hole in it unless you are making A drain plug.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Its the one circled. It will not hurt a bit on any transmission as long as you don't go over 1/4 of a turn. All it will do is raise the main line pressure just a little. It helps a LOT on those older units that slide into gear.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Its the one circled. It will not hurt a bit on any transmission as long as you don't go over 1/4 of a turn. All it will do is raise the main line pressure just a little. It helps a LOT on those older units that slide into gear.

Awesome, Thanks! I don't know if the site will let me rep you more yet :)

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
So it happened again, but worse.. much worse.. Driving into work today I turned and gave it about 3/4 throttle, i let off the throttle to let it hit 3rd gear, it tried revving down and grabbing but it didn't, just slip, a little throttle and it would rev up, then nothing, the truck started slowing down while sitting at 3-4k rpm. i dropped into second, grabbed fine.. tried shifting different ways but just got slip, drove the rest of the way to work in second.

I have not tried the 1/4 turn on the pressure thing, is it worth it? the fluid is darker and smells burnt and i noticed a good grey patch on the dipstick as well.

i'm pretty sure its bitched but if there is any other quick fixes out there i'm more than interested.

thanks, in the meantime i will look into another truck, or a new trans.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
no quick fix,,,time for a new trans,,, seems your driving style ,,even tho you knew it was on its last legs baffles me,,,launching in 4 lo,,,wonder why it went out???