Trans help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
I know this stuffs been covered a dozen times but im racking my brain trying to figure this out, i got a quote from a highly respected trans builder who i trust and as much as id love to give him the business i cant swing 1400+ bucks but he was nice enough to include a list of all parts id need and this was last year, but ive been trying to hold off till last minute to kee it alove and ive done good so far. anyways i want to try to do this myself but need help understanding some of this stuff and id like to keep this all organized if at all possible. so ill update accordingly so if anyone has part ninput id appreciate it greatly.

heres the estimate and parts list he gave me

4842G TORQUECONVERTER (Exchange) 124.00 (can get from work proking brand 2200 stall, brazed, any input?)
74006EB L/S OVERHAUL KIT W/MOLDED PISTONS 186.16
T74165E TRANSGO VALVE BODY REPAIR KIT 71.62
74010 FILTER 12.45 (from work)
B74020AH 2-4 BAND (BORG HIGH ENERGY) 19.80
MISC BUSHINGS 25.70
74201A BEARING KIT 46.68
74230D INPUT DRUM SELECTIVE WASHER 6.30
61725A FWD SPRAG 53.47
61503 LOW ROLLER 25.18
S74624SS SONNAX SMART SHELL 92.00
S74056 WIDE SUN BUSHING-SONNAX 6.70
34435A VARIABLE FORCE MOTOR (EPC) 68.02
2-D74421 DELCO SHIFT SOLENOIDS 24.28ea 48.56
A74741G FWD CL ACC PISTON ASSY ALUMINUM 11.74
2-A74927K 1-2/3-4 ACC PISTONS ALUM 11.00
74602-R REACTION SHAFT (BEARING TYPE) 25.00
74241B DELCO BEARING (FOR REACTION SHAFT) 22.37
77898E-K SONNAX BOOST VALVE KIT 32.00
74905BAK CORVETTE SERVO 19.00 (amazon/ebay etc)
REPAIR TOTAL 1357.75
MICH SALES TAX@ 907.75 54.47
INVOICE TOTAL 1412.22
A 3% surcharge is added for all credit card transactions.

Notes: Tyler you had asked about installing a transgo dash-2
shift kit, which is a good kit but I do not suggest it for
your application. I would suggest upgrading the sun shell to a
Sonnax Smart Shell, a corvette servo and a larger diameter line
pressure bosst valve, which I included in this estimate. I also
suggest replacing the reaction shaft with a later (2001-up) version
which replaces the 4 tang thrust washer with a roller bearing. I also
suggest replacing all of the forward drum apply pistons with steel
rubber molded pistons found in 03-up units. The next upgrade you
can make is increasing the 3-4 clutch pack to 8 friction & kolene
steels (about 100.00) and up grading both front & rear plantarys
to new 5 pinion delco planets (for about 300.00).
Towing in 4th gear? add 77767K SUPER HOLD 4th GEAR SERVO 89.00

-so judging by all this ive found 93+ rebuild kits for around 173 with raybestos frictions and such, would i be best off going with a newer 03+ kit? since the rubber mlded pistons and reactor shaft are from 03+ is that even possible?

-does the 77767k superhold 4th servo replace the 77898E-K SONNAX BOOST VALVE KIT ?

- ill be going with the hd2 shift kit and vette servos.

- basically is there any kit that would include a majority of this stuff 03+ or something that includes the upgraded 8 friction 3-4 clutches or 5 pinion planetarys? im really sorry if im confusing guys, overall seems like the 97+ kits with listed part number includes a majority of the pieces, ill go over them tomorrow to see what ones arent included unless someone knows off hand or where to get them. is alto a good brand? ive never heard of them but thats all im seeing as far as manufacturer
http://carburetor.dvautoparts.com/d...ion-master-rebuild-kit-1997-03-w-kkiplmlimmii

- sunshell wise ive found the sonnax smart shell, also found a beat and monster, the monster was listed as an offshore part from cascade and i have no clue what that means so basically i found these.

http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/4l60esunshell-beast.aspx
http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/4l60esunshell-monster.aspx
http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/4l60esunshell-monsterb.aspx

andy

Reaction score
What are your plans for the truck? High horsepower racing? Towing? Or a dd? A good bit of the stuff listed wont be needed if it's just a 83rd or even for towing. I'd stay away from the 8 friction 3-4 packs. To keep the clearance within spec you have to install thinner steels which can't disperse the heat generated effectively. I'd stick with a good 7 disk pack at .037-.040" clearance. What is your trans doing? Slipping between gears? No upshifts? Why are you getting the valve body repair kit? Most of the time it's not needed unless your already having issues. The 4 pinion planets are fine unless you are racing. The smart shell or beast wheelbase the same thing. Different companies called it different things. Are you planning on rebuilding it yourself? Get some books and search online. Its not an easy task but can be done. There's a video on YouTube of a guy completely disassembled inspected and rebuilt a 60e. I'd watch it so you know what your getting into.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
DD, minor towing and offradings. my trans is overall unhappy, leaks alot, bushings gone in pump so input shaft rides funky and wears them, slips occasionally, lots of materials in the fluid itself when i change it etc.

ive looked into it more, i think ill go beast shell basic rebuild servos and shift kit for now. should keep alive for what i need ultimately. question is can i use the 97+ kit? im told its better due to more clutch packs and such? any truth? im gonna have to do alot more reading and such. i rebuild a th350 before and it ended badly but it also doesnt help that d do some work take a break for the day and then the other guy would do it, so between the two of us who knows who was confused while installing things.

andy

Reaction score
A 97+ kit will be fine. I used 03 steels in my 3/4 clutch pack. A shift kit isn't really necessary. A vett servo, stiffer springs in the accumulators and you can enlarge the feed holes in the seporator plate for better fluid control. A wide 2-4 band will help for towing.