Tranny bombed - Super 4L60e or 4L80e swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Man... I lay low for a month or two and y'all completely forgotten about me already.... I have a builder already but I usually buy my own parts and bring em to him since its always the buddy system pricing lol....

35s and 4.56s

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't forget about you! Lol just working all night and using tapatalk I didn't realize who you were. What all has to be done to do a 4l80 swap? I just thought it would be Easier to build a 4l60. Your boat can't be that heavy?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That truck, those tires, and a 19 foot fiberglass speed boat?

80 all the way.....

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
I didn't forget about you! Lol just working all night and using tapatalk I didn't realize who you were. What all has to be done to do a 4l80 swap? I just thought it would be Easier to build a 4l60. Your boat can't be that heavy?

Same here bro... First night of graveyard is killer! Well other than tranny and torque converter - 4l80 to NP243 adapter, NP243 32 spline input shaft, move cross member back, new dust cover and inspection plate, possibly shorten rear drive-shaft, some repining on the harness, and reprogram. And yea it's pretty darn heavy. Boat + 35s + long trips = death

That truck, those tires, and a 19 foot fiberglass speed boat?

80 all the way.....

Yeah that's what it's looking like man... Stress killed it from the wheels/tires and hauling my boat combination. It's been built before with all the goodies, shift kit, beast sunshell, vette servo, etc. I have a trans temp gauge which I keep very close eye on, and always tow in 3rd.... Still killed it.. Trans temp was 120 when it crooked. I think it's just too much strain on it. I know I could build another 60 or 2 much cheaper than the swap but I'm ready for some peace of mind.

You must be registered for see images attach

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Thing about hauling a boat behind a truck is it's not just hauling down the highway that stresses the transmission out.

Hauling it in and out of the water on steep boat ramps from a dead stop isn't exactly "light duty" work...

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Do you have a trans cooler? Might be something to look into.

I'm planning on replacing mine as well (196k on original). But I'm going the super-4l60e route. Still want it to be streetable, and the 80 has REALLY low gearing. Plus, I'm getting it built by a friend of a friend who built one for his LS powered Chevelle. So I'm pretty sure it should hold up for my needs.

I guess there's no real explanation for why some people have better luck than others. We towed a 26ft. 4500 lb. (dry) travel trailer all over for years with mine. Still don't know how it's lasted this long. lol.

Good luck with the 80.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Do you have a trans cooler? Might be something to look into.

I'm planning on replacing mine as well (196k on original). But I'm going the super-4l60e route. Still want it to be streetable, and the 80 has REALLY low gearing. Plus, I'm getting it built by a friend of a friend who built one for his LS powered Chevelle. So I'm pretty sure it should hold up for my needs.

I guess there's no real explanation for why some people have better luck than others. We towed a 26ft. 4500 lb. (dry) travel trailer all over for years with mine. Still don't know how it's lasted this long. lol.

Good luck with the 80.

Yes I run dual coolers and bypass the radiator res since its not needed in this hot Arkansas weather. It was a very very good setup.... just not enough.

I've had some bad experience with them already and besides that I already have most of my 4l80e parts on the way. U guys sure seem to be in favor of the 60... is it because of the cost? Hassle? Or? Honestly thought I'd get some really positive feedback on the 80

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I think an 80 is a good idea. I just didn't know how involved the swap was. Make sure to make a thread on the swap!