TPI Swap into 1995 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Klassickarguy

Reaction score
1995 Sierra 2wd Single cab. 5.0L 5 speed currently. Have a low mileage (50K engine from a IROC Camaro 5.7L). I want to swap the entire engine (yes Have the computer and original harness from the IROC) into the Sierra.
Questions:
1) I know fuel pump has to be changed and lines have to be made.
2) Would like to use the Truck brackets and accessories to save cost - Anyone know if they will work?
3) Switching to larger radiator from Suburban, and I know with TPI may have to use custom hoses.
4) Wiring? Can I use existing truck computer to run TPI? Should I add the IROC computer and harness and only use it to control engine functions? Suggestions are appreciated.
5) Will clutch bolt to 5.7 TPI Flywheel (IROC was a 5 speed). Will Bellhousing bolt to IROC engine? Anyone ever use the 5 speed out of an IROC in a truck? Pilot bushing - which one to use? Truck or Iroc?

Trying to keep this cost effective.. any suggestions on this swap are appreciated.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1) Use a EP381 or EP241 pump. Those are the GMT400 vortec pump or the F-body TPI pump respectively
2) The truck brackets won't work with TPI
3)What's the question?
4)Since you have a 5 speed, you can use the EBL w/port mod to run it. Simple modification to your stock TBI harness to add the fuel injector connectors.
5. You can take the flywheel from your truck and bolt it to your TPI engine. They're both 1 piece RMS SBC engines. Install a new pilot bearing to work with your transmission while it's easily accessible. If your TPI engine was from a 5 speed car, it's probably not a 5.7L. The 5.7L TPI was only available in automatic cars. The 5 speed cars only got the 5.0L.

pro17 has an awesome write-up on this TPI swap here:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/tbi-to-tpi-conversion-mpfi.39486/

Last edited:

Klassickarguy

Reaction score
1) Use a EP381 or EP241 pump. Those are the GMT400 vortec pump or the F-body TPI pump respectively
2) The truck brackets won't work with TPI
3)What's the question?
4)Since you have a 5 speed, you can use the EBL w/port mod to run it. Simple modification to your stock TBI harness to add the fuel injector connectors.
5. You can take the flywheel from your truck and bolt it to your TPI engine. They're both 1 piece RMS SBC engines. Install a new pilot bearing to work with your transmission while it's easily accessible. If your TPI engine was from a 5 speed car, it's probably not a 5.7L. The 5.7L TPI was only available in automatic cars. The 5 speed cars only got the 5.0L.

pro17 has an awesome write-up on this TPI swap here:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/tbi-to-tpi-conversion-mpfi.39486/

Thanks for the info, but I plan on replacing the entire block, not just the intake, so I shouldnt run into some of the issues. Ill also have to check the clock numbers, I thought it was a 5.7 but really doesnt matter.
Is it easier to modify the existing harness or find a way to use the IROC computer to run just the engine? Is there someone that does the ecm and chip conversion?
Any recommendations for electric fan conversion?
No emmision inspections where I live, is it necessary to relocate battery?

Sam Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but I plan on replacing the entire block, not just the intake, so I shouldnt run into some of the issues. Ill also have to check the clock numbers, I thought it was a 5.7 but really doesnt matter.
Is it easier to modify the existing harness or find a way to use the IROC computer to run just the engine? Is there someone that does the ecm and chip conversion?
Any recommendations for electric fan conversion?
No emmision inspections where I live, is it necessary to relocate battery?

FYI, I installed a 406 TPI motor and built 700r4 into an IH Scout. I used a controller from a 1991 Corvette which has provision for electric fans. Speed Scene wiring did my ECM mods and built a plug in harness . Everything was labelled and plug and play.

Klassickarguy

Reaction score
FYI, I installed a 406 TPI motor and built 700r4 into an IH Scout. I used a controller from a 1991 Corvette which has provision for electric fans. Speed Scene wiring did my ECM mods and built a plug in harness . Everything was labelled and plug and play.

I already have the harness from the car and the computer, its a budget friendly build. I was hoping that I could just swap computers, but Im sure its not that easy.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can swap out the harness and use the TPI computer. That will absolutely be the cheapest way to do it. It's a royal pain to do because the engine harness is bundled together with other underhood harnesses and other harnesses behind the dash. That's the reason I'm trying to steer you in a different direction.