Towing ratings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

How is it that a C1500 5.7L is listed as having a 4-speed auto trans, but a K1500 5.7L gets a 3-speed?

That's not how they tended to be equipped.

See how a 2500 is rated to tow less? Their tow ratings are BS. What year is that from? The GCWR on my 98 K1500 was 10,700. I see no reason it should be any less than what you have in front of you. In stock form though I will concede that 10,700# was a decent limit, north of that and the truck was wallowy and lacked confidence. Totally different story now with bigger springs and brakes. And more power.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
See how a 2500 is rated to tow less? Their tow ratings are BS. What year is that from? The GCWR on my 98 K1500 was 10,700. I see no reason it should be any less than what you have in front of you. In stock form though I will concede that 10,700# was a decent limit, north of that and the truck was wallowy and lacked confidence. Totally different story now with bigger springs and brakes. And more power.
I noticed it shows the C3500 with 5.7 and 4.10s at 13,500#. My truck was probably around 10,000# with us in it, the load and trailer, on our trip to Austin and back, in April. Truck would do 65 no problem, felt like it had more power available if needed. But you could definitely feel the weight, over and above the basic truck like we usually drive it. And we did kinda get shoved around the corner a couple times, when coming into a turn, a wee bit too fast.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed it shows the C3500 with 5.7 and 4.10s at 13,500#. My truck was probably around 10,000# with us in it, the load and trailer, on our trip to Austin and back, in April. Truck would do 65 no problem, felt like it had more power available if needed. But you could definitely feel the weight, over and above the basic truck like we usually drive it. And we did kinda get shoved around the corner a couple times, when coming into a turn, a wee bit too fast.

What rear tire pressures do you run? You may just need more air out back. From what I recall you just drag Uhaul trailers? Rawhide should be able to bully that thing around even in a corner.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
What rear tire pressures do you run? You may just need more air out back. From what I recall you just drag Uhaul trailers? Rawhide should be able to bully that thing around even in a corner.
I run 45-50 in the front, and 75 in the rears. Rides harsh when empty (but Houston roads suck and it needs shocks). But rides great loaded, even a partial load.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run 45-50 in the front, and 75 in the rears. Rides harsh when empty (but Houston roads suck and it needs shocks). But rides great loaded, even a partial load.
I finally noticed, not all that long ago, that mine has two door stickers with tire pressures. The other one is high up on the door where I wouldn’t expect it to be.

When towing I run 50 and 80, F/R, per the door sticker.

The other sticker says 40/50 for comfort when empty, or words to that effect.